Getting rid of my VW 1.8T - What to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I can't decide what I want to do. I think I need to wait a while, until I can be as close to 100% sure about what I want as possible. In the last week, I've gone from wanting a Mazda 3, to 2 different Subarus, to a couple of domestics, to wanting a new GTI 2.0T, which I REALLY like. What's wrong with me!?

New car bug bites pretty hard sometimes (especiallly since your wife just got her new SUV?). That's understandable. But what's most important, whether keeping your old car or getting a new one, is how much you like it. Don't get talked into liking something or rationalizing your decision. Make an emotional connection. Life's too short to drive a boring car.
That said, it sounds like waiting for a used year-old GTI might be right for you, since you like it so much.

Quote:

Make an emotional connection. Life's too short to drive a boring car.

I couldn't agree more. For me, vehicles are much more than just transportation. They are a blend of emotion, driving enjoyment, transportation as well as the added benefit of the joy of working on and maintaining them. I can personally justify spending a little more money on a car/motorcycle I find interesting because I am spending my transportation dollars like everyone else, plus I choose to spend some of my entertainment/hobby dollars here instead of on golf or something similar.

For others, a car is transportation, and is no more interesting than a refridgerator. For those people it makes sense to spend their extra time and money on other interests like golf, travel etc.

Quote:

Life's too short to drive a boring car.

I concur!!! I was the happiest person selling my 225k Civic bought brand new since I was told practical/reliable. Such a let down from my previous VW Jetta GLI 16V.

I test drove a Subaru WRX in 2002 and absolutely loved it however could not swing it financially. I came up with a rapid decision in 2004 sold my Civic in two hours and purchased a 2004 WRX wagon by phone after calling around for lowest price. Could not be happier, no regrets after 3 years
smile.gif

Quote:

The GTI has no major mechanical issues, just some little things I'm not going to fix before I sell it.

Little Red is gone?
dunno.gif

Hmm, now it's "just some little things"? Didn't you complain frequently for the past couple years how this car was such a PITA?
liar.gif

Go with a Civic or Corolla and enjoy the reliable performance and handling of a Japanese car.
grin.gif

I would consider a Ford 500 or Impala. Lots of room, gets good mileage, handles well.

Quote:

Little Red is gone?
dunno.gif

Hmm, now it's "just some little things"? Didn't you complain frequently for the past couple years how this car was such a PITA?
liar.gif

Me, a pinnochio!? That's harsh!

It's these little things with the VW that are a PIMA. It's a domino effect.

FWIW, I still have Little Red, but she may get traded in on a new GTI within the next 12 months. Yes, you read that right; I am now considering purchasing another VW. Some other things must fall into place first, though........

Quote:

It's these little things with the VW that are a PIMA. It's a domino effect. [snip] I am now considering purchasing another VW.

I see you follow the Costanza principle and do the opposite of what seems reasonable. I can't wait for the ensuing hilarity!
grin.gif

laugh.gif

Like the mult-million dollar marketing campaign says: once you get into a VW, it gets into you.

You know the problems are coming and you know you shouldn't buy it, but there's nothing you can do about it.

My 1.8T has certainly gotten in to me. I love it. This engine rocks!

I've had this 2001 Jetta for the last six months. Not a single problem with it. Seems solid as a rock. Handling is so nice, I don't know how I'd live without it.

VW-hater-ology seems rampant on the web. I guess there has got to be something to justify it. But my experience has been just the opposite.

Knock-on-wood.......

Quote:

VW-hater-ology seems rampant on the web. I guess there has got to be something to justify it. But my experience has been just the opposite.

80% or 90% of the time, the problems lie with the dealerships. Common problems are not fixed properly on the first trip to a dealership -- the service advisors and mechanics act as though every problem is a brand new never-before-seen problem that requires lengthy diagnosis and the replacement of several expensive parts.

I just read a post over at tdiclub. The guy's Jetta needs a new alternator pulley -- this is a common problem, the alternator is fine, it will last for another 100k miles. But the dealership is replacing the alternator and the pulley. So an extra $400-500 on the bill, because the dealership figures the customer will pay without complaining too much.

Quote:

Knock-on-wood.......

I agree. I had a 2002 Passat, which was supposedly one of the worst years, and really, I had an average of one unscheduled trip to the dealership per year. My experience with that car was positive enough for me to buy an 2007 Passat. So far, I love the car. There is no car in the same price range that I would trade it for, I don't care what the reliability reports say.

Yep, I can see that. My "triage" for doing repairs:

1. Get a really good repair guide and do it yourself.
2. Go to an independent repair place you trust.
3. Go to a dealer only if absolutely necessary. Hopefully #3 will never happen.

Quote:

Are VW bring the turbo diesel back for 2008? 50 mpg is enticing

Somewhere around 45-50 mpg highway, with either 6-speed manual or 6-speed DSG (direct shift gearbox) transmission. Horsepower up from 100 to 140. Jetta sedan in early 2008, Jetta wagon in April or May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back