Getting ready for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and at least get a coat of something on to protect my truck from the ravages of winter here in Michigan. I'm in the southeastern part where there's a lot of traffic so the roads are salted as needed. I've been reading about all the different waxes and sealants people prefer and would like to know what would be a good choice for salt protection. I have an assortment of Eagle One products on hand but if there's something out there that's known to be bullet-proof I'd like to know. Thanx in advance.

I'd like to hear what others have to say as well since both my cars are due for a wax and winter is coming. I'm pretty sure that the only bullet proof method will be storing your car for the winter however. I hate salt, all my cars rot away eventually. Does the salt really harm the paint however?

I actually go with a nice layer of Duragloss 105 with the bonding agent and follow it up with a few layers of Collinite 476. That is a pretty unbeatable winter combination IMHO.

I agree with Wasatch..... Any good sealant (take your pick Duragloss, Optiseal, Klasse, Zaino, Wolfgang, etc.), let it cure for 12 to 24 hours and then top with 2 coats of Colinite 476s or 845

Thanx for the info guys. Where can I pick Colinite up at? I've never heard of it before but there's a lot of new things I haven't heard of till I started reading BITOG.

Duragloss 105 at your local Carquest (they can order it for you). Then, top it with Collinite 845 (Harbor Freight carries it). That's my plan this winter. Last winter I used the DG 101/105 combo, and it worked real well.

Rejex seems to be holding up very well. I plan on getting another 2 coats on before the winter sets in.

Frank D

Ditto on the Rejex - Used it on my vehicles last winter in Mich (which, by the way was a nasty one) with great results. Lasts 4-5 months and can be used on glass and paint. Just be sure to apply it according to instructions.

Got mine online from SkyGeek.

It's probably more important that you remove the contaminants frequently. Maybe go to the self serve bays and spray it down once every week or two.

I use "Car Brite" commercial brand sealent and follow that with two coats of Colinite 476s. I let each coat of Colinite cure overnight in a garage before wiping it off. Lasts through salt covered streets over the winter. I tried other wax in the past but the Colinite holds up to the elements the longest.

Collinite can be purchased at Harbor Freight (but I have heard they are going to stop selling it) and can be ordered online from a LOT of suppliers.

Find a Carquest near you and grab some Duragloss 105 or 111. Best option for something local. If you want to order off the net, As mentioned Colinite 476 works well, Finish Kare FK1000P is another durable wax, Zaino is also a top notch product.

For a daily driver I'm really impressed with the Black Magic liquid wax. My car sits outside 24/7 exposed to NYC metro area fallout and the stuff beads well and holds up for a real long time considering I only wax the car 3 times a year. Plus it's cost-friendly.

Drew

Collinite is the longest lasting carnauba based wax that I've ever used. It's great stuff.
I also like Zaino CS (clear seal). It's hard to say which lasts longer. I do know that with CS, dirt and dust do not stick to the paint as much as with Collinite, so the car looks cleaner for a longer period of time.
I thought about Zaino CS with a top coat of Collinite, but two (or more) coats of CS may be even better.

I could just kick myself. I was at Harbor Freight the other day getting a polisher and didn't pick up some Colinite. My truck is on the road during the school year transporting the greatnephews and sees its share of salt here in metro detroit. I'm seeing some rust developing where the tires spray the road salt on the step bars.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
Collinite is the longest lasting carnauba based wax that I've ever used. It's great stuff.
I also like Zaino CS (clear seal). It's hard to say which lasts longer. I do know that with CS, dirt and dust do not stick to the paint as much as with Collinite, so the car looks cleaner for a longer period of time.
I thought about Zaino CS with a top coat of Collinite, but two (or more) coats of CS may be even better.

I do a similar routine for my S10. I'll do OptiSeal followed by 845. Great combo imo.

Do you use a power tool to apply/remove the Collinite? I have a variable speed polisher and a random orbital buffer I can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back