Getting More Old Oil Out When Doing a Change

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My engine retains about 1.5 quarts of old oil when doing a change. That's a pretty big percentage in relation to the total capacity. I'd like to get more of the old oil out when making a change.

My thought was to add some extra, clean oil to the engine just before making the change. I have a quart of M1 that I won't be using in this engine, so I thought of adding it to the crankcase prior to making the change, running the engine a short distance (from home to the shop that's doing the work, just a few miles) and then draining the engine.

Would that dilute the oil so that there's less old oil remaining in the crankcase, and give me more fresh oil, by percentage, when doing the change? Thoughts?

It won't be worth the effort.
Why? How about explaining your pronouncement? As for effort, there's none involved other than pouring some oil into the crankase.

Why? How about explaining your pronouncement? As for effort, there's none involved other than pouring some oil into the crankase.

Because his motor won't blow up and still have a long life.......

Last edited:
That seems like a lot left over, are you draining it from the pan or top side? Are you putting a new filter on?
Oil Capacity 2AR-FE Engine

Drain and refill with oil filter change
4.4 liters (4.6 US qts, 3.9 Imp. qts)

Drain and refill without oil filter change
4.0 liters (4.2 US qts, 3.5 Imp. qts)

Dry fill
5.7 liters (6.0 US qts, 5.0 Imp. Qts)

I'm draining from below, with new filter.

1.4 Quarts remain in engine

New one on me—I would not have guessed that much.

All the same…

it won’t matter. At the risk of worshipping at the altar of Toyota, have you heard of 2AR-FE’s having problems?

If worried, just change at 5k, long before the oil is “used up”, and then the oil left in is not a problem.

Edit: I own one, its fine at over 200k, and I have the audacity to run Supertech in it! no oil burning yet. Sample size of one I know.

I remember back in the 1980's doing an oil change, now I do take the oil dipstick out as well as the oil cap and PCV hose before doing an oil change. Does more oil come out, who knows, but it seems to pour out better, LOL

Anyways, I was changing my oil 1 day and my buddy gave me a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50, he told me after my oil drained out I should pour it in and it would flush out the old oil. It did not work out that way, what came out was fresh oil. The old oil, guessing half a quart or more was somewhere else.

Depending on the shape of the oil pan a topside changer may get more oil out than the drain plug.

Take a look at the pan inside (online) and out and see where the drain plug is in relation to the lowest point on the pan.

It isnt worth your time trying to get more out, the intervals the manufacturers publish have the remaining oil in the consideration.

If no experienced Toyota mechanics chime in, I'd ask at a dealership. The trick there is getting the right guy in the right mood.
The answer could be 2 large oil galleries; one for the crank and one for the upper end.
Or a combination of large galleries and what WC and UD said above.

A puzzler for the moment but still nothing prompt oil changes can't obviate; as supton said.

Chasing an oil drain with a quart of fresh oil is ludicrously wasteful in my book.
Actually, try all manner of tilting the vehicle somewhat severely; not just a 2x4.
Go for the Raucous Tilt.

I understand the desire to get as much old oil out as possible. I do all sorts of things to accomplish this. Especially with motorcycles, where one can tilt the bike left and right and watch a bunch more drain out. Certainly, adding a fresh quart prior to a change dilutes the old oil a bit. Whether the 20% dilution is worth the cost is another matter. I'd suggest more frequent oil changes, and to choose a quality synthetic. Maybe to the point where the oil remains relatively clean after an oil change.

I've noticed that on my Ecoboost 3.5L, if I change at 5000, not only does the eng run smoother, but there is less fuel dilution. AND the oil is clean on the dipstick after the change. If I go the full OLM time, the oil remains dark brown after a change. That's due to twice the contaminants.

As usual, @Cujet is spot on. 5K OCIs rock!
In April 2020 I picked up a 1 owner 2013 Civic LX for my grandniece Tatiana who is in the Marine Corps, currently stationed in Camp Pendleton, which is a flat out gorgeous place if you have never been there. She was in Kuwait before that.

Anyways, that Civic was Honda and Quickie Lube serviced since new, using the MM. I got the car with 80K. I serviced it at 5K intervales with everything from M1 to Kirkland 0w20. The oil generally came out pretty dark.
I just serviced it on the 26th; she was at 8K and 10% MM. "Uncle Jeff my car is waaaaay over due for an oil change!" Tati knew I would rag on her...
The Kirkland 0w20 came out just a shade darker then it went in. I drove that little Honda, dang engine runs as smooth as our Tesla. I swear it has just gotten better.

1640899097936.png

So you're proposing giving a quart of oil a job, but a job for only 20 miles or so.

This seems wasteful.

If you crunch the numbers you'll be tablespoons ahead.

If you're truly worried about "old oil" you'd be better off shortening your OCI by 30% or whatever then changing all of it-- I mean, all you can get.

You'd need a rotisserie to tip the car upside-down to let any additional oil drain out of the valve cover. Not having one of those myself, I'd just learn to live with it as-is.

My engine retains about 1.5 quarts of old oil when doing a change. That's a pretty big percentage in relation to the total capacity. I'd like to get more of the old oil out when making a change.
My thought was to add some extra, clean oil to the engine just before making the change. I have a quart of M1 that I won't be using in this engine, so I thought of adding it to the crankcase prior to making the change, running the engine a short distance (from home to the shop that's doing the work, just a few miles) and then draining the engine.
Would that dilute the oil so that there's less old oil remaining in the crankcase, and give me more fresh oil, by percentage, when doing the change? Thoughts?
Drain and refill with oil filter change
4.4 liters (4.6 US qts, 3.9 Imp. qts)
Dry fill
5.7 liters (6.0 US qts, 5.0 Imp. Qts)

1.3 l is much, that's roughly 23 percent, so I understand your desire pretty well.
Despite that adding another quart above max is too much of a risk IMHO.
Instead I'd suggest to pour in that quart after or during the old oil is draining.
I use to pour one litre of less expensive but approved oil through the oil filler
and the filter housing (all my newer cars use filter elements, valve is open) while
draining. Cost is no more than 5 bucks. That won't get all used oil out of your
engine but pretty much of it - enough for me. No risk, marginal effort. That said
I run custom-made magnetic drain plugs on all of my engines and transmissions.

Study up on what it takes to condemn an oil sample.6 quarts of oil 5 drained and replaced. You are removing how many ppms of crud in the oil? I worked in fleet maintenance and most of the time the oil in the semis, Forklirfts , company cars, vans, etc were changed hot cold and or in between with out any special voodoo and they all lasted way too long. Change the oil using a conservative oil change interval for the service of the vehicle and make sure the intake and air filters is sealed and don't worry.

Last edited:
Back