Getting every last ounce out of a jar/bottle/etc.

If I have time, I let a bottle drip upside down for a long time.

There always seems to be some left at the bottom.

I try to get most of the stuff out of the bottles of everything. Jugs of oil get tipped upside down and drained into the caps and then opened and put into the crankcase or another quart bottle used for top ups. Even the fluid film 1 gallon can, when it's almost empty, I use a dollar store cake spatula to get everything out of the jug. Waste not want not. Let's keep as much waste as possible out of landfills.

You can flush the last of something like ketchup or applesauce out by putting in a little water and shaking.

The most frugal-unfriendly containers I know about currently are typical ones for liquid laundry detergent. No matter how long the bottle is upturned, the last ounce or two will not drain unless you force the fancy spout gizmo up out of the bottle (not easy!), or punch a hole in the bottle. That's easy with an ice pick or sharp awl.

I have not been much lately. At work we don't have space to store things that "might" have value, and it's kinda rubbed off on me. Plus I have no desire to become a hoarder. Some things are too much effort to get the last bit. Other things (that won't spoil) I might keep for a bit, but if I don't use in a short period of time, they are apt to be tossed (unless if they have high dollar value).

Back