getting bulbs to seat properly and stay there

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

My daughter keeps complaining that the tail-light bulbs in her Pontiac won't stay working. The bulbs are ok, but they get loose in their sockets and stop working. (She is away at college but should be coming home for a weekend soon.) Is there some sort of product, some "goop" that will hold the bulbs in place so I can solve this?

Have you tried swapping the bulbs for new ones or to different positions already?

I had that issue with a '94 Saturn. After the second or third time of checking to see if the bulb was blown, I just changed, never happened again.

If you kill the power you can get under the (wire) contacts in the socket and pry them outwards a little... for better electrical contact and for mechanical tightness.

Some good ideas, thanks. I have a 1986 F-150 which, recently I had to replace a bulb. I found that the factory installation had the bulb wedged in some "wax" for lack of a better term, which kept the bulb in place despite the typically poor quality light bulb housing.

Originally Posted By: crw
Some good ideas, thanks. I have a 1986 F-150 which, recently I had to replace a bulb. I found that the factory installation had the bulb wedged in some "wax" for lack of a better term, which kept the bulb in place despite the typically poor quality light bulb housing.

The "wax" that Ford uses is dielectric grease, available at auto parts and electrical jobbers (on the circuit breaker aisle). It is creamy and takes years and years to harden to the state it is in on your '86 F-150.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: crw

The "wax" that Ford uses is dielectric grease, available at auto parts and electrical jobbers (on the circuit breaker aisle). It is creamy and takes years and years to harden to the state it is in on your '86 F-150.

Yeah, it was hardened. I had to break the bulb and remove the base with needle-nose pliers, then scrape out all of the "wax".

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you kill the power you can get under the (wire) contacts in the socket and pry them outwards a little... for better electrical contact and for mechanical tightness.

Yup, and on some designs you can move the bulb wire a little away from the base to make contact.

Once the bulb is seated and working, a dab of clear silicone right where the bulb meets the socket will keep it there. Just a dab is all you need. Once it dries, the bulb is going nowhere. And, it's easy to remove when you need to do so.

You have to do a little thinking here. When you get the car hopefully the lights will not be working. Carefully gain access to the lights, without touching them. Turn them on. Now is your big chance to find out if the lamp is coming out of the socket or if the connection is poor. watch it carefully and gently wiggle it and push and turn it until it lights up. Then take the appropriate action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back