Getting an oil pan baffled by Moroso, and what is a windage tray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get my oil pan baffled for my 2zz-ge powered Celica that I use for track days. I have been told that I can give the pan to Moroso to get baffled for high-g cornering. Has anyone done this, and does anyone know of any other company that does?

My stock pan is supposed to have a windage tray in there already, what is a windage tray and what does it do?

The oil pan on my 70 Mustang Mach 1 came with a baffle from the factory. It keeps the oil around the pick-up so that you don't starve the engine of oil during hard acceleration. I didn't know that you could have a baffle installed in a pan but it makes sense. I'd expect though that Moroso makes a new pan with a baffle already in it, if that might be a better way to go as you may gain some capacity too. A windage tray usually bolts on the bottom of the engine and is designed to stop the crank from hitting the oil supply. It's more likely that your car came stock with a baffled oil pan rather than a windage tray.

A windage tray is flat piece of metal that prevents the rotating crank etc from splashing up oil and causing drag on the rotating mass and or oil starvation from. It usually bolts to the mail bearing caps but can be part of the pan. Some would call it a baffle but a baffle is perpendicular to the crank C/L and a windage tray would be parallel.

[ December 09, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I'm interested in the baffles because of cornering. I have heard that people with this engine can experiance oil starvation during corenering greater than approx. 1g.

I'm pretty sure that the stock oil pan has no baffle, but instead a windage tray. There is an aftermarket company that sells a baffled oil pan in Japan, but the pan costs more than $600 which is a rip off.

BTW thanks for the explanation for the windage tray. Does this also mean I could overfill the oil pan and avoid airation even more?

A windage tray does not keep the crank out of the oil, it keeps the oil off the crank, which prevents frothing of the oil.

Baffles keep the oil from leaving the oil pickup dry.

You should look into your oil drains from your heads...some engines have holes too small, and by running at high rpms for extended periods, you can run your oil dry at the crank by filling your heads.
shocked.gif

You can generally add a little more oil if you have a windage tray. The best system all around for high-g cornering is a dry sump system. Three stages of pumps empty the sump. Oil tank with up to 20qts cools and feeds pressure pump. more complex but when working right will not let engine runout of oil.

I brazed some baffles in my oil pan on the 1970 340mopar I built. It also has a windage tray. I run 6qt of oil all the time in it.

Dan

here is a picture of the only pre-baffled oil pan I could find for my car and it costs $571 + shipping form japan!
shocked.gif
 -

I wish I could afford a dry sump system.

00 scrub - I hope you don't mind if I add a parasite question to your original post.......Can anyone tell me the difference between a windage tray and a "crank scraper"? I've found a company that makes an inexpensive crank scraper for my Volvo, but was wondering what benefits it would provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back