Getting a sports-luxury vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a 2014 vehicle in the near future.

Comes down to: a Mustang, Audi A5, and a Acura RDX FWD not AWD.

So that said it must revolve around oil changes. How easy is it to change the oil in my selection?

I like how OP's decision to purchase his next vehicle from completely different classes boils down to single parameter:-

WHICH ONE IS EASY TO CHANGE OIL?

He is the true BITOGer to the core!!!

The new Mustang looks incredible.... but the A5 is so pretty it's hard to ignore.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
The new Mustang looks incredible.... but the A5 is so pretty it's hard to ignore.

Agreed, a friend just acquired the S5 with black and grey rims. I thought Audi's(sedans) were meh cars until I saw that.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The A5 is a good car if you get a real motor in it.

So that means he'd have to get the S5.
smile.gif

Somewhat odd combination of choices. I can say of the Acura that the J series are very easy to maintain yourself until you get to the timing belt at 100k miles. Soichiro Honda had a requirement for his engineers that his cars be easy to work on for the owners, and to a great degree that still holds true today.

A month ago I helped a friend change the cabin air filter on her Nissan. It required the glovebox and other trim be removed (8 screws) and the filter was back behind the center console; took an hour start to finish having never done it before. To change the filter on my Acuras, no tools, glovebox unclips, remove a shroud covering the filter, slide it out, replace. Took 10 minutes the first time, 5 min the second. Point is, ease of maintenance is a design consideration at Honda/Acura.

The A5 is a good car if you get a real motor in it.

They're putting fake motors in the A5? SOMEBODY ALERT THE PRESS

A 2L 4 banger in a luxury coupe?

It seems to be a common approach these days. BMW and Mercedes have gone that route, too.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Somewhat odd combination of choices. I can say of the Acura that the J series are very easy to maintain yourself until you get to the timing belt at 100k miles.

I have found that even the timing belt is a non-issue, at least for me. I'm not a mechanic, I don't own a professional garage, and I've rebuilt only one engine in my life...an old-school Oldsmobile 403 small block. It took me about 5 hours start-to-finish to change the timing belt on our '05 MDX. I did it with a friend in my garage on a pleasant Saturday morning.

As you indicate further in your post, it became clear that the operation was designed to be easy to do for a DIYer...the only "special tool" required was to remove the crankshaft bolt, and I rented that tool from O'Reilly. Everything on our two cars is easy to do...from changing oil, to changing transmission fluid, to changing rear end fluid... These are the easiest cars I've ever owned...TO own. That kind of ease of ownership keeps me as a customer.

That's a very odd mixture of choices. Share your intended use, and your general location. That will help. If you are considering the Mustang, I will hold out for the 2015. It will only be better.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
That's a very odd mixture of choices. Share your intended use, and your general location. That will help. If you are considering the Mustang, I will hold out for the 2015. It will only be better.
If you read his original posting, all he cares is the oil change difficulty of each vehicle!

I like the a5 but as others have said a 4 banger would not do justice in a car like that...so the s5 is a bit more than I want to pay.

Decided on the Acura RDX for luxury SUV and a Triumph Street Triple which would take the place of the speed+power+awesomeness I crave of the S5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back