Getting a cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
At just over 295,000 miles and today my Check Emission Light appears.Both o2 sensors are fairly new. Pull the code and P0420. So I go to Honda and there is a rattling sound. So I am getting myself a new converter for Xmas. The price is high but considering the mileage I am not too hurt. To add insult to injury the A1245 all appeared too so I have 80 percent oil life and will be back for all these services too. Will also have the cvt fluid swapped out also. I kinda wish I had bought all the performance parts instead but I think I would have had to buy a Hondata and a laptop,I own neither and too to keep CEL from coming on. I've convinced myself to only modify before a sensor going up and after going down just yo be safe.

http://www.fkxracing.com/DC-SPORTS-RACING-DOWN-PIPE-HEADER-06-15-HONDA-CIVIC-R18-HCD5526-HCD5526.htm
http://www.fkxracing.com/HONDATA-BLUETOOTH-FLASHPRO-12-15-CIVIC-R18-FP-R18-US-FP-R18-US.htm
http://www.fkxracing.com/MEGAN-RACING-DOWN-PIPE-12-13-HONDA-CIVIC-R18-MR-SSDP-HC12.htm

You can get a converter for only $100
smile.gif

Even a California-legal converter is only about $200

[Linked Image]

That's what my cat thinks about a cat being replaced... Ears bent back because she knows those doggone cats can be a bit pricey to purchase and install... My two were replaced for $1,500.

If that's the original converter, it can be sold to a scrapyard for good money. Just keep a proof of purchase for the new converter.

I sold my original 92 Toyota pickup cat for $60 couple years ago. Muffler shop mechanic offered me $30 for the old cat. New cat installed was $130 at the local muffler shop, but I know it won't last as long as the factory cat.

Emissions. test in your state?

I would just gut the cat can On an old car.

But if its really rusty, Just go with a new universal if exact fit is $$$.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Don't get a cat at a Honda dealership.

+1

Go aftermarket. I've put aftermarket cats (particularly Walker and Eastern) on several different vehicles of both my own and family/friends and they have worked fine until the vehicle was no longer owned.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

But a pair of O2 sensor spacers is only $10.

Originally Posted by atikovi
smile.gif

31.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
smile.gif

Exactly.
11.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Marco620

Go down to the junk yard find a wrecked civic. Take the cat from it.
Wrecked 15 Civic

Most junkyards don't sell used cats

Huh. Just looked that up. Apparently its a Federal Law.
shocked2.gif

Just says its for scrap purposes
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Don't get a cat at a Honda dealership.

+1

Go aftermarket. I've put aftermarket cats (particularly Walker and Eastern) on several different vehicles of both my own and family/friends and they have worked fine until the vehicle was no longer owned.

Ehhh, I saw a performance drop when I installed Walker cats on my old car due to me being stupid and driving during a misfire event(but this was an pre-OBD car) and the ECU didn't cut fuel to protect the cats.

The car passed smog but it felt "stuffy" during acceleration. The old OEM cats had lower restriction and were bigger. The Walkers were smaller but CARB approved.

Stick to Honda. Even if you're not a tree hugging liberal, I much prefer not smelling raw fuel from one's tailpipe.

Most do not, that is correct. It's not illegal to sell used converters but they must be tested for container mechanical integrity, substrate mechanical integrity and performance. If a wrecking yard is capable of doing all three of those then they can be sold. I'd guess that "performance" may be the most difficult to verify.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Most do not, that is correct. It's not illegal to sell used converters but they must be tested for container mechanical integrity, substrate mechanical integrity and performance. If a wrecking yard is capable of doing all three of those then they can be sold. I'd guess that "performance" may be the most difficult to verify.

How much would a used cat cost? And what kind of warranty would it have?

Rock Auto has a CARB-legal cat for about $200 that comes with a 5-year, 50k warranty

If a CARB cat isn't needed, or if $200 is too much, the regular Federal cat is only $100, but the warranty on catalytic performance is only 2 years or 25k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back