Getting a 6.0 powerstroke and have some XD3 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says I am getting an 04 or 05 Excursion with the PSD 6.0. I still have 15L of 0w-30 XD3, does anybody see a problem using it? Would you save it for the winter and just get some CO-OP 0w-40 for the summer, or what would you use for the summer?

How about oil suggestions for a 6.0 psd doing some light towing in the Canadian Rockies and in the BC interior hwy 5 especially the Coquihalla passes?

The 6.0PSD does quite well with the 30 grade.

My neighbor has multiple runs of Rotella dino 10w-30 in his 2005 6.0PSD and the UOAs were just fine.

Many people will caution you on the shearing associated with PSDs, which can be seen often with a 40 grade shearing down to a 30 grade. But the lighter grades don't shear down much at all (Neighbors stayed right in grade after 7.5k miles). It's as if the PSDs simply prefer the ligher grade, and if you don't feed it one, they'll make one for you!

I think using the 0W30 in the PSD would be fine...I drive the Coquihalla and the Okanagan Connector often, and can't seen any issues with the 0W30 or COOP 0W40 in your application. Like Dave said, 40's are going to be 30 in that engine anyhow...
I often ran my 06 Cummins up most of the grades at high revs on dino and saw very low numbers...your 0W30 options, they will be fine. I think I used 0W40 Esso one year and didn't see any issues either.
thumbsup2.gif

Just be sure to use an OEM Motorcraft filter. It's a patented design and the aftermarket ones cannot make it with the same features.
As for the oil, run your favorite, it's not so critical.

racor holds the patents on the oil and fuel filters for the 6.0, so any aftermarket filter cannot be identical.
small differences in size don't allow the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter housing to work properly.

the proper filters are critical for the 6.0, 6.4 powerstroke, and can be motorcraft, international, racor, and some frams are repackaged racor's

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
Just be sure to use an OEM Motorcraft filter. It's a patented design and the aftermarket ones cannot make it with the same features.
As for the oil, run your favorite, it's not so critical.

I have actually seen the video of the differences in the filters, I will stick with the motorcraft for sure.

I am thinking my first OCI will be the XD3 0w-30 as it has been sitting in the closet for a year and some. Then I will have to start looking at what to use next. I like the CO-OP stuff but I always seem to wonder about the shell rotella 0w's and of course XD3. I would try a summer OCI with M1 TDT but its never on sale up here.

I will be making my own bypass filtration setup also using parts I can get at Princess Auto and a Donaldson 2 micron filter.

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I am thinking my first OCI will be the XD3 0w-30 as it has been sitting in the closet for a year and some. Then I will have to start looking at what to use next. I like the CO-OP stuff but I always seem to wonder about the shell rotella 0w's and of course XD3. I would try a summer OCI with M1 TDT but its never on sale up here.

I will be making my own bypass filtration setup also using parts I can get at Princess Auto and a Donaldson 2 micron filter.

Esso bulk fuels in Lloyd sells D1 for about 25 bucks per 4 litre jug...won't see it much lower than that. He probably has TDT as well...

Like the title says I am getting an 04 or 05 Excursion with the PSD 6.0. I still have 15L of 0w-30 XD3, does anybody see a problem using it? Would you save it for the winter and just get some CO-OP 0w-40 for the summer, or what would you use for the summer?

Try your hardest and find an Excursion with the 7.3L.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob

Best advice I've seen in a while...:!

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob

I have been hunting for a few months now there is nothing worth buying with a 7.3 in it, within a 1000 miles. The 3 6.0's I have picked out all have no big warranty work done on them, head gaskets especially!

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Esso bulk fuels in Lloyd sells D1 for about 25 bucks per 4 litre jug...won't see it much lower than that. He probably has TDT as well...

I totally forgot about D1, that is a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back