Get Rid of 03 Sonata...40K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my staff lost her husband recently, so she went to a financial advisor to sort things out. He told her to get rid of her 10 year old Sonata because it will cost too much to keep going. I said I know you don't drive much, how many miles? She said 40000! I asked if she had had any issues, just replaced rusty rotors but I think that is a function of not driving it much. She is scared because the guy said this but I said keep it! Please share your thoughts so I can make her feel better about keeping it (or maybe I should buy it)
banana2.gif
Thanks.

John

10 years old, in a rust state, yeah I could see why. But 40k isn't that old either.

Can you ask her if she would take into account what 2 or even three good mechanics would say? As in, have the car inspected at a couple of shops. If they all say, "tons of life left!" would she feel better?

Edit: how was maintance done on this car? Even if it was poorly done I'd think it'd have tons of life left...

Last edited:
Is the financial advisor also a mechanic? I suspect he's never turned a wrench. These "advisors" get a little drunk on power IMO. Another opinion: Recommending a new car loan and new car insurance over a few occasional repairs on an older car begs the question - how experienced is this guy?

Did they have two cars? If she's a widow one car should do her fine especially if they don't drive much. But it should be her choice as to which one to get rid of. A sonata is a perfectly fine car for "old person duty".

32.gif
My grandma bought a Corolla shortly after Grandpa died. Before that it was 40 years steady of oldsmobiles ending with a couple cieras. She apparantly hated them!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is the financial advisor also a mechanic?

That is the question. What other fields of study is he also an expert in? Is he giving her diet tips and estimates on replacing her roof?

Is that her only vehicle? I would say there is different criteria for a guy who knows a little about cars, then a woman who knows nothing about cars.

She would be better at getting a 2-3 year old car and driving it to where its 10 years old.

Both my vehicles are over 10 years old, but I know some about cars and I have two vehicles for myself. And I spend money on prev. maint. and CarWell.

Did the "FA" look at the car? How's the body look? 40k mi. on an 03 is nothing. Low insurance costs and taxes are definite pluses. If it's been reliable to this point and the body is in acceptable shape, it's a no brainer to keep it, at least for a while or until it requires more maintenance than she can or wants to keep up with.

Now if she already has another newer vehicle she wants to keep, you should check it out for yourself.

if she keeps it, replace the timing belt and water pump. those water pumps are junk and the impellers are probably rusted away/non existent.

and sell it to me, i love hyundai's.

Is the financial advisor also a mechanic? I suspect he's never turned a wrench. These "advisors" get a little drunk on power IMO. Another opinion: Recommending a new car loan and new car insurance over a few occasional repairs on an older car begs the question - how experienced is this guy?

Took the words out of my mouth! Did the guy do an analysis with actual numbers for a car she'd buy instead of the Sonata? Tell her to take the car to a good technician. If it's not rusty and the maintenance is kept up, it will be cheaper to keep that car then buy another one. That is a no brainer.

Is it rusty? At 40k, granted it is a hyundai, it shouldnt need much. Ditto for 80k. If there is PM needed, it is still less money than a few months payment and depreciation.

So I dont see this being a great move.

But the car probably has poor resale value, and so the cost of repair equal to the value of the car rule is probably in his mind.

I wouldnt be running scared, I would sink a bit of PM into known weak spots or potential trouble areas and check everything out and ensure it is robust.

Not.very many 15 year old.Hyundai's on the road.is what he's probably thinking. My vote... sell it and get a scion xb first Gen. Just totally unkillable and extremely cheap.

I travel the roads nationally a bit, and log 40-50k a year on average... I always see one or two old Santa Fe s out on trips. Still running, but usually missing all the paint and going 20 below the speed limit. Their quality IS improving exponentially, but a ten year old.car for an old lady is still a 10 year old car.

What was he last week, a bank teller going to night school? Consumer Reorts is pretty clear about keeping an older car with low miles under many circumstances.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
... sell it and get a scion xb first Gen. Just totally unkillable and extremely cheap.

The Scion xB has great resale value, I doubt it is a good value used.

She could take it in for an inspection, but the fact that she's a woman isn't going to help her out. They'll find all kinds of things wrong with that car that are probably fine.

As others have said, it does depend on the condition. I think one thing most seem to agree with is the statement "You need to get rid of this perfectly good paid-for 10-year-old car and get something newer" is ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
She could take it in for an inspection, but the fact that she's a woman isn't going to help her out. They'll find all kinds of things wrong with that car that are probably fine.

Only if she goes to the worst places possible. Surely a good shop can be recommended to her. Also, I was kinda thinking of that behind the notion of doing 2 or 3 shops. If three shops all come up with the same list (or non-list) then it sounds like three good shops are found. And it should cost less than one car payment to do, to boot.

I helped a lady at church who had left the parking lights on overnight and killed the battery. Someone jumped it, but she only drove it 1/2 mile to church and needed another jump. I helped her jump the vehicle (easy with my dual battery RAM pickup) and latter charged the battery overnight and tested it with load tester at 1/2 CCA in the morning. It was right on the line. It was also a very cold day, but I did temp compensate the reading. She went to a trusted mechanic and they told her new battery and alternator.

Did she really need everything? I do not really know. If it were me I would have done nothing and see how it went the next few days. But she is an older lady by herself and cannot do the trouble shooting I can.

I assume it was $400 give or take, but I did not ask.

Vehicle was a 2005 Mercury Mariner.

Last edited:
I understand recommending battery replacement after a full drain event like that when battery isn't new, but the alternator? Did they expect the alternator to charge the dead battery enough in a half mile drive to restart the engine?

I have a very hard time thinking that a $400 monthly payment for a new (or 'new') car for an older single driver is a good financial decision. But I guess people have very different ways to determine what something is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back