Get less, pay more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just making spaghetti and pured a jar of Bertolli spaghetti sauce on the hamburger I was frying and noticed not very much came out of the jar. I looked and it was 24 oz sort of hidden off to the side.

I'm pretty sure spaghetti sauce has always been 32 oz and that was barely adequate to cover a box of spaghetti. That is a significant difference 8 oz or 25%. The sauce seemed kind of watered down too. I know grocery products have been downsizing but this is sort of a recipe item. It wasn't any cheaper than before about, about $2.12 or so at Walmart. What a slick way to jack the price up almost 25% without anyone noticing as well
wink.gif
. In reality it's pretty hard not to notice that one.

Some TV stations did just that, they said many items had been reduced in size instead of price increase. Many 16 oz items are now 12 oz, 32 oz is 24 oz now.

YERY common now.
mad.gif

Hidden, sneaky inflation. But hey, inflation is low, right?
33.gif

I had a big thread on this a couple years ago.....

Yup, inflation! I'm noticing it with everything, to include dog food. The cans of Purina One I buy have what looks like an intentional air pocket at the top. They used to be filled all the way.

All products are getting smaller, thats why I stock up when Publix has Buy 1, get 1 Free deals. Theres lots of groceries that I stock up on that won't go bad.

Good one
lol.gif
. Motor oil just keeps going up in price. I guess just about all spaghetti sauce is 24 oz now. And now I remember noticing that awhile back. I forgot. But this last jar seemed like it was mostly water.

Yup, it used to be a quart, but has been ~2x oz for years now. Many of the 64 oz cartons of orange juice have been recently reduced to 59 oz. Of course, we're supposed to be too stupid to recognize that.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
we're supposed to be too stupid to recognize that.

Most are...

This topic comes up on Consumerist all the time, they call it the 'grocery shrink ray'.

This isn't anything new. We discussed this in my personal finance class when I was in Jr High back in the late 70s. It's not a new phenomenon. I doubt it was new then, either.

Caveat Emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back