German Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much difference is there between German and U.S Syntec? Is the German really that much better? I can't find any of the German kind. I have searched through all the castrol bottles at walmart until the sales people came up to me and said "Can I help you find something sir
shocked.gif
?"
"No thankyou
spaz.gif
" I said.
Dipstick01

The US made 0w30 is not even in the same league as the German 0w30 stuff. The German stuff is thicker, passes way more stringent tests, and has shown some incredible UOAs on here so far.

dipstick01,

You can keep checking Wal-Mart US as maybe they will emulate their Canadian cohorts...THE place right now in the US is Autozone.

Here are some differences from the MSDS on regular 0w-30 and SLX:

Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic SAE 0W-30 Motor Oil
SECTION VI: PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Boiling Point: ND Specific Gravity Water=1: 0.86
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 25 C: ND Vapor Density Air=1: ND
Percent Volatiles: Negligible Evaporation Rate BuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible Freezing Point: -22F to -40F -30C to -40C
pH-Value: NA Viscosity @ 100C, cSt.: 10 typ.
Odor Threshold: NA Coefficient of Water/Oil Distribution: ND
Appearance, Odor & Physical State: Clear, amber liquid; mild petroleum odor

Castrol Syntec SLX Motor Oil
Boiling Point: Above 300 C Specific Gravity Water=1: 0.854
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 2 0 C: Percent Volatiles: Negligible Evaporation Rate BuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible Freezing Point: -66C
pH-Value: NA Viscosity @ 100C, mm2/sec .: 12 typ.

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Boiling Point: Above 300 C Specific Gravity Water=1: 0.854
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 2 0 C: Percent Volatiles: Negligible Evaporation Rate BuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible Freezing Point: -66C
pH-Value: NA Viscosity @ 100C, mm2/sec .: 12 typ.

I don't know where you got this from, but there is no such thing as "Castrol Syntec SLX Motor Oil." Also, Formula SLX 0w30 (German Syntec 0w30) is not "amber," it's GREEN. In fact, the spec sheet that Castrol in Germany sent me lists the color as "grün."

Same post, wrapped:

Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic SAE 0W-30 Motor Oil
Boiling Point: ND
Specific Gravity Water=1: 0.86
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 25 C: ND
Vapor Density Air=1: ND
Percent Volatiles: Negligible
Evaporation Rate BuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible
Freezing Point: -22F to -40F -30C to -40C
pH-Value: NA
Viscosity @ 100C, cSt.: 10 typ.
Odor Threshold: NA
Coefficient of Water/Oil Distribution: ND

Boiling Point: Above 300 C
Specific Gravity Water=1: 0.854
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 2 0 C: Vapor Density Air=1: ND
Percent Volatiles: Negligible
Evaporation Rate BuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible
Freezing Point: -66C
pH-Value: NA
Viscosity @ 100C, mm2/sec .: 12 typ.
Odor Threshold: NA
Coefficient of Water/Oil Distribution: ND

G-Man II
I got the information in question directly from the MSDS sheet as posted from my company (BP)website on motor oil MSDS's. OK, so maybe it is a little old but it is from a genuine Castrol MSDS.
smile.gif

CASTROL NORTH AMERICA INC.
CONSUMER MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Issue Date 08/21/2000
Preparer: Regulatory, Environmental, Safety Department Telephone: ( 973) 633-2200
PRODUCT NAME: Castrol Syntec SLX Motor Oil

INGREDIENTS - CHEMICAL/COMMON NAME
Synthetic hydrocarbons may contain one or more of the following: CASRN 68037 -01 -4, 68649-12-7

Multifunctional additive mixture composed of organo -metallic compounds, (typically containing zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate, calcium salts of alkylated phenol sulfides, and molybdenum compounds) and a proprietary blend of organic chemicals CASRN NA, Mixture.

Who the heck knows what it really is, or was?

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
I got the information in question directly from the MSDS sheet as posted from my company (BP)website on motor oil MSDS's. OK, so maybe it is a little old but it is from a genuine Castrol MSDS.
smile.gif

See if you can find the MSDS for Formula SLX 0w30. That would be the one for the German Syntec we're all talking about.

Has anyone on this forum ever gotten their hands on BOTH European sold Castrol SLX 0-30 and U.S. sold Made in Germany Syntex 0w30 . Do they really at least look and smell the same? Do we have VOAs on true packaged SLX. It's still possible that this made in Germany Syntec is SLX basestocks,but a different additive package or mix of basestocks. I do believe it is different from the made in US stuff. But I've not seen evidence that this is German Syntec is 100% the same as SLX. There have been a lot of assumptions on this.

[ August 31, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: RussellA ]

quote:

Originally posted by RussellA:
Has anyone on this forum ever gotten their hands on BOTH European sold Castrol SLX 0-30 and U.S. sold Made in Germany Syntex 0w30 . Do they really at least look and smell the same? Do we have VOAs on true packaged SLX. It's still possible that this made in Germany Syntec is SLX basestocks,but a different additive package or mix of basestocks. I do believe it is different from the made in US stuff. But I've not seen evidence that this is German Syntec is 100% the same as SLX. There have been a lot of assumptions on this.

Not really assumptions, but conclusions based on deductive reasoning. Reference:
  • The e-mail from Castrol that has been posted saying that they decided to start importing the 0w30 from Germany "since it was already being produced there."
  • The fact that the only oil currently produced by Castrol in Europe that is GREEN is Formula SLX, and the German Syntec 0w30 is GREEN.
  • The specs listed on the back of the German Syntec bottle are IDENTICAL to the specs listed on the German product data sheet for Formula SLX.
IMO, these three items are clear and convincing evidence that the German Syntec 0w30 is in fact Formula SLX.

quote:

The e-mail from Castrol that has been posted saying that they decided to start importing the 0w30 from Germany "since it was already being produced there."
The fact that the only oil currently produced by Castrol in Europe that is GREEN is Formula SLX, and the German Syntec 0w30 is GREEN.
The specs listed on the back of the German Syntec bottle are IDENTICAL to the specs listed on the German product data sheet for Formula SLX.

Emails from Castrol have not consistantly told us anything. Latest from them claim German and US 0w30 are the same.

Saab synthetic was thought to be straight Mobil1, but VOAs showed a high TBN and seems to point to it being Mobil1 with a different additive package. There is one spec diff on german syntec that I doubt the SLX has. The german syntec has an API donut on the back. They may have to tweek the blend in germany a little to meet this.

With out a VOA on SLX we don't really know. Maybe one of our members in Austrailia can get the SLX and run a VOA for us to see.

quote:

Originally posted by RussellA:
Emails from Castrol have not consistantly told us anything. Latest from them claim German and US 0w30 are the same.

The german syntec has an API donut on the back. They may have to tweek the blend in germany a little to meet this.

That was a phone conversation someone had with a person at Castrol who said they were the same, not an e-mail.

And according to the data sheet sent to me by Castrol in Germany, the Formula SLX does meet API SL. And since the API requirements are minimums, and the ACEA specs are tougher to meet, I seriously doubt Castrol would have to do anything to one of their ACEA rated oils to meet the SL spec.

Hi,
G-man II - The green coloured German Castrol SLX 0w-30 oil I mentioned elsewhere here and that was first used by me in 1997 ( installed on 12/10/1997 )was marketed as follows:

Starts;
"Castrol SLX is the first of a new generation of very high performance full synthetic fuel efficient passenger car engine oils".

And amongst other comments -

"The first 0w-30 engine oil in Australia
Proven performance in competition applications in Australia
Approved by MB,BMW,VW***-Audi,Porsche
Easily meets latest API SJ ( SH,SC) petrol & API CF ( CD/CC) diesel requirements
Also meets ACEA (CCMC) petrol and A2-96(G4),A3-98(G5) & diesel B2-98(PD2),B3-98 requirements
Passes Japanese valve train wear tests
Complies with Australian Motor Industry agreed phosphorus limits for maximum catalyst and oxygen sensor compatibility"
Recommended for Suzuki GTi and other high performance twin cam multivalve engines used for "Club days" or high performance applications"

Ends!

*** Thats why I purchased it in 1997

I paid about $A6o for 5 litres then ( engine held 3.5 lts ). I have recently seen the original containers still on shelves here at $A115!!! And as low as $A59!!!

Regards
Doug Hillary

Doug,
Not only SLX has changed since '97 but Castrol sells quite a few versions formulated to meet certain manufacturer's specs. There is SLX LongLife II with VW specs 503.00/506.00/506.01 for VW/Audi LongLife Concept engines, SLX GM with GM specs GM-LL-A025/GM-LL-B025 also for extended drain intervals and SLX LL01 FE with BMW LongLife-01 specs for Valvetronic engines. They all are a bit different in viscosity @40C & 100C but all have a TBN above 10, much higher than 8 you posted.
If pour point temperature is any indication of a base stock then it must be a good one as they all show pour point of at least -54C.

As far as Castrol tweaking SLX for US distribution I seriously doubt it. The cost is too much of a factor to setup a separate blending facility for a limited US supply. It is cheaper to just send regular barrels and bottle it here as Syntec.

Doug,

Does it(slx) smell like gummybears? If so, I'm convinced. I have some (German 0w30) in my garage now, I just don't trust Castrol, especially with these recent phone conversations.

Doug,

Even though it has that sweet, candy-like fragrance you should not consume it...you should put it in your car!
grin.gif

[ August 31, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Hi,
Pscholte - we only use SLX to "BBQ the prawns" now when we run out of Castrol R30 or R40.
Now there is a seriously nice odour when wasrm or in use in an older car or bike racing engine!

Virgin Olive oil - grade -0W-90 - is also good in older Alfas and Lancias - but you need to buy the southern Italian type from near Naples. You can use it to rust proof the car too. You need to be real quick though as they started to rust before they were built!

Regards

Doug,

It is obvious you are a man with excellent taste!
cheers.gif

PS We need emoticons/gremlins toasting with a fine glass of wine, too!

Is this oil group III or IV?

[ August 31, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back