German public now favors extending life of Nuclear power plants

In the US, natural gas does not need to be imported and costs less per BTU than coal. There's no reason for us to keep old coal plants that can't be converted.
My utility has been doing this and I’m now paying 4 cents more per kWh, a ~33% increase, than before they started doing it.

Keep in mind, that gas plants have a horrible efficiency, you need a lot of gas to make power.
Especially since the LNG we import now, has less BTU than the Russian natural gas we used to have.

As about 50% of all Germans, I heat my home with gas, and I can clearly see the difference.
I need much more gas now (and it was a rather mild winter over here).

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that gas plants have a horrible efficiency, you need a lot of gas to make power.
Especially since the LNG we import now, has less BTU than the Russian natural gas we used to have.

As about 50% of all Germans, I heat my home with gas, and I can clearly see the difference.
I need much more gas now (and it was a rather mild winter over here).

NatGas is the most most efficient form of fossil fuel power generation there is coming in at 50-60 percent. German coal can get close at 47% with their newest plant which is multiple better than what the US has opted to do.

Germany is closing the last nuclear power plants it has, and replacing them with brown coal power plants. Don't really know what's going on, but there are total double moral in the EU. Then CO2 tariffs will be introduced for ordinary citizens.🙄
Actually wonder if i would move away from here like many others🤔

With "efficiency" I was talking about the fuel cost/output ratio.
ah yes, NatGas transported on ships is going to be more expensive for certain. It really feel bad for you guys. The Greens back in the late 1990s-early 2000 put too much faith in Moscow dropping its belligerent ways. Gerhard Schröder, judging by his five marriages, has poor judgment when it comes to withwhom he wants to cozy up with. lol.

My home province of Alberta will be shutting down the last coal plant this year. Instead, Alberta will be mostly on Natural Gas. In 2015, they were still building coal plants.

93AD8FF1-EABB-4F94-A074-27BA14D10D04.png
E4A92B33-975C-4B1B-BE1F-2CDA07D3BF00.png

Last edited:
may time you find rational thought beats wishful thinking almost every time, especially when it comes to practical decisions.

same thought, different problem....does anybody think the mandating new car purchase of electric vehicles is going to work out if people just drive their 40 year old car instead and sales go in the tank?

Likely of interest to many here. The German public is now overall in favor of extending Nuclear Power. Likely the key take away - italics my paraphrase - quote from the article - due to energy issues cause by the war in Ukraine "Previously, the majority of the public was in favor of the nuclear phaseout in the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster; now over 80% are in favor of extending the lifespan of Germany's existing nuclear reactors."

it literally reminds me of: "this is not the brexit i voted for" public moaning
politicians promised miracles if the brexit gets passed, but the awakening next morning was cruel.
brexit made everything worse. same as the closure of nuclear.

Back