German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 honda accord and a 2001 pathfinder both are very sound cars,will gc work well in them??I was in the autozone and got all they had. Budweiser
cheers.gif

I love it so far(have nearly 2000 miles on the first run in my saturn) and have no complaints. Mileage seemed to be down at first but I'm getting the best Ive ever gotten in this car (2001 44k miles) at this point. It is also quiet on a cold start and seems to idle pretty smooth. Ill save my complete endorsement until I compare a UOA with it against Amsoil. I think oils like Amsoil, Mobil1, GC and a few others are all good oils, my only problems with Amsoil is that it was still a little noisy on startup but not near as noisy as Mobil1. My UOA on Amsoil looked great at 4k miles. When the Amsoil run is done in my Tacoma i will be doing a UOA and filling it with GC to compare in the truck also.

b..w..,

I am running SLX (aka GC) in an Audi 2.7T and it loves it or should I say "Es liebt es."

cheers.gif

I think a better question might be which cars will it NOT work in. I know it would be too thick for CAFE ratings in the 5W-20 engines, but other than that, I feel any engine that requires a 30 weight (big number) would be better off with this oil. I've been hearing rumors lately that the new pocket rocket from Saturn will call for a european spec oil...ONLY.

I've been hearing rumors lately that the new pocket rocket from Saturn will call for a european spec oil...ONLY.

We switch to the purchasing department at Castrol...

"Hey Jürgen,

Wir müssen mehr vom Grün importieren."

Good luck to you. All it did for me was give me a noisy engine at start-up. It sounded kind of like a lifter tick even though I have an OHC V8. I can't believe how much effort I went through to find this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by KJA426:
Good luck to you. All it did for me was give me a noisy engine at start-up. It sounded kind of like a lifter tick even though I have an OHC V8. I can't believe how much effort I went through to find this stuff.

As odd as it may sound, you may need to give your engine a chance to adjust the oil (or vice versa). When I first put it in, I noticed some strange sounds (nothing awful, just hadn't been there before) and a 2-3 mpg mileage drop. Within a thousand miles or so, things had smoothed out nicely. That was a month-and-a-half ago. That fill of oil just made it over 5300 miles, and despite a very good UOA ( see for yourself ), I decided to change it and put in another fill of GC. If anything, it's now even smoother. The last oil before the GC was Amsoil ASL 5w-30. I'm wondering if there wasn't some clash between the remnants of that and the GC. My basis for this is the sounds that smoothed out and the apparently disproportionately low TBN showing at just over 5k.

Of course, if you're really uncomfortable with it, dump it. Your car and your money. . .
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back