German Castrol

Remember the old, green German Castrol that all the Porsche, Audi, Mercedes owners loved... It was an oil as stout as a Model A Crank Shaft!!! I think it was a 0w30, but darn near a 40wt.

Is there anything on the market today that is as good as it today?

They still make it, but it's not green anymore, and it's now made in Belgium instead of Germany. Amazon still carries it, and Pep Boys might still have it if your local PB didn't change over to service-only.

AAP has it online only

I nabbed six quarts of it at the 2019 AZ oil rodeo. $2/qt. Like finding gold nuggets. My Saab liked it. Don't remember what color it was.
1617660382276.jpg

OP, I've been using it for a long time. I have several UOAs on our two BMWs that show good results.

Here is a Nov 2020 VOA from the most recent batch I ordered from Amazon. Belgium made, non-LL01.

FWIW,

Scott

VOA Castrol 0W-30 2020 2.jpeg

Been using "GC" since the early 2000s and all their variations. Green / Yellow, GC / BC, 0w30 / 0w40, LL01 / non-LL01. For the money and availability, extremely hard to beat. Only tried other oils due to OEM warranty and/or curiosity.

I'm sure since it is made in Belguim and castrol moved its production from Germany it probably has much less or very little Group IV/V in its formulation compared to the original. Dang German labeling laws!

I'm sure since it is made in Belguim and castrol moved its production from Germany it probably has much less or very little Group IV/V in its formulation compared to the original. Dang German labeling laws!
Not true. Look at the MSDS and it shows 25% to 50% PAO. This is the same percentage as the recent German made version.

Scott

Not true. Look at the MSDS and it shows 25% to 50% PAO. This is the same percentage as the recent German made version.

Scott
Having a hard time finding a MSDS for the original green German castrol. Mind posting a link for it?

Those were the good old days of BITOG.
I used many quarts of that stuff, and it was better than most of the engines it went in.
These days I'm good with 12 bucks a jug Kirkland Dexos spec, LOL.

Remember the old, green German Castrol that all the Porsche, Audi, Mercedes owners loved... It was an oil as stout as a Model A Crank Shaft!!! I think it was a 0w30, but darn near a 40wt.

Is there anything on the market today that is as good as it today?

Still available. Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone carry it and still have it for $33 for 5qt. I use it in BMW.

Back