German Castrol vs. Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between these two? I have been using GC in my 08 Volvo S40 with pretty good UOA's. Would Edge out perform GC? Thanks for any and all input!

When I pour in GC, I don't get dipstick-whipped by some little bearded guy. Reason enough for me to stick with it.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
When I pour in GC, I don't get dipstick-whipped by some little bearded guy. Reason enough for me to stick with it.

Now thats thinking with your dipstick Jimmy.

LOL.gif

Too Funny!

I'd deck the little critter.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

mad.gif

Naaa....he'd give youa beat down with his dipstick......jimmy!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: daman

mad.gif

Naaa....he'd give youa beat down with his dipstick......jimmy!
LOL.gif

24.gif
LOL.gif

He'd be checking HIS oil with his dipstick, right after we were released from the emergency room to have my foot surgically removed from his rearend! :) That guy gets on my last nerve!

Last edited:
Visc @ 100C is 9.8 vs. 12.1 for GC. Highly doubt the HTHS is anything higher than 3.0 because it doesn't meet ACEA A3, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 etc. And it's an SM rated oil. Give me the added zinc and phosphorus of the GC anyday. I'd pass, especially if you can still get GC.

It's A5. Definetly not the oil to be putting in your BMW/Benz, but it's probably one of the best oils you can put in recent Japanese engines. I'm gonna try it my 2AZFE when I do my next change.

Last edited:
I thought Edge carried some Euro specs? I have to say too, even if it's A5, I've seen Euro car engines give great UOAs on thinner A5 oil (PP 5w-30) in a turbo Audi app. That heavy oil A3 oil is more for Autobahn cruising than our good 'ol USA short trips.

Originally Posted By: shortyb
Visc @ 100C is 9.8 vs. 12.1 for GC. Highly doubt the HTHS is anything higher than 3.0 because it doesn't meet ACEA A3, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 etc. And it's an SM rated oil. Give me the added zinc and phosphorus of the GC anyday. I'd pass, especially if you can still get GC.

Is German Castrol not being made anymore? My Auto Zone had tons a couple months ago.....I'm about ready for another oilchange so I was going to go back and get some.

Is German Castrol not being made anymore?

Looks like it's still made. Plenty of it here in AZ and PB.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is German Castrol not being made anymore?

Looks like it's still made. Plenty of it here in AZ and PB.

Plenty at my two AZ's too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back