German Castrol vs. Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if there is another readily available (in the US) Castrol product that meets BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, not counting the stuff sold at some dealerships. So, until they come up with something like this, my guess is they will keep GC around.

They've got it at "my" Autozone, but only in 5w-30 and 10w-30. I learned from the website that those are the only two grades available. What's with that??? They release a new "flagship" oil, and not a 20 wt in sight?!? You'd think they'd start with a range of oils that didn't automatically exclude almost everything from Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
They've got it at "my" Autozone, but only in 5w-30 and 10w-30. I learned from the website that those are the only two grades available. What's with that??? They release a new "flagship" oil, and not a 20 wt in sight?!? You'd think they'd start with a range of oils that didn't automatically exclude almost everything from Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Yes, you would think so. Especially since the Super Bowl 30 second commercial they purchased cost them $3 million, not to mention all the other commercials they have run since then about thinking with your dipstick.

The Scottish guy in the commercials who whips people thinks that XW-20 oils are for little girls, so he didn't allow his oils to include such oils.

I expect great results from the Edge oils. Their additive packages are robust based on the VOAs posted here, as is needed to be capable of 15K miles OCIs.

I'm sure Edge oils will be decent, maybe even great. I'm just turned off by their marketing and mediocre oil line in general.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm sure Edge oils will be decent, maybe even great. I'm just turned off by their marketing and mediocre oil line in general.

and price..

I would use Kendall's new Synthetic over Edge any day.
28.gif

How many times less wear does it provide, compared to Mobil 1?
LOL.gif

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/kendall/automotive_engine_oils/Ken%20GT-1%20Ultimate%20Synthetic%20MO%20TDS%20Web.pdf

Looks good to me.

Yes i read that before,i agree,,i would like to see a VOa on there 15w40 HDEO i see in my local truck store,Hmmmm.

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/kendall/automotive_engine_oils/Ken%20GT-1%20Ultimate%20Synthetic%20MO%20TDS%20Web.pdf

Looks good to me.

-36C pour point ultimate synthetic? Hmm...

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: shortyb
Visc @ 100C is 9.8 vs. 12.1 for GC. Highly doubt the HTHS is anything higher than 3.0 because it doesn't meet ACEA A3, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 etc. And it's an SM rated oil. Give me the added zinc and phosphorus of the GC anyday. I'd pass, especially if you can still get GC.

Is German Castrol not being made anymore? My Auto Zone had tons a couple months ago.....I'm about ready for another oilchange so I was going to go back and get some.

Its still being made (for now), just that some AZs have decided to stop carrying it in favor of the new Edge products. Silly dolts.

Well if your edge 0w30 is not B3 that is strange. This is the european spec for edge 0w30. And, Edge has been around for years. At least here. And the 0w30 is not popular, the "only" weight to consider here seem to be xw40 or 10w60.
--------------------------------------
Technical Specifications 0w30
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API CF
Meets the engine test requirements of API SM
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
VW 502 00/503 01/505 00
BMW LL01
-------------------------------------------
Technical Specifications 0w40
ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.31
Porsche

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lars11
Well if your edge 0w30 is not B3 that is strange. This is the european spec for edge 0w30. And, Edge has been around for years. At least here.
--------------------------------------
Technical Specifications
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API CF
Meets the engine test requirements of API SM
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
VW 502 00/503 01/505 00
BMW LL01

Well, technically, there is no EDGE 0w-30 here in the US. So far EDGE in the US only comes in two grades: 5w-30 and 10w-30.

However, there is Castrol Syntec 0w-30 here which carries the same specs you posted above.

Hard to say. What specs are required by the manufacturer of your engine?

On paper, I'd say GC looks better (meets more stringent specs). And considering that it is also cheaper, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with GC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hard to say. What specs are required by the manufacturer of your engine?

On paper, I'd say GC looks better (meets more stringent specs). And considering that it is also cheaper, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with GC.

Not 100% sure of the spec.....I'll have to look it up. Would it be in my owners book? It is a 2008 S40 2.5T AWD and a 2004 2.5T XC70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back