German Castrol Users Check In with OCI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/girls, just wanted to see how far everyone is running this oil? I just changed it out in my Toyota V6 at 6K miles. I know, I'm a wimp.

I searched the UOAs and found nothing over 10K. Thanks for any input.

only 3.5 k for me, heavy traffic city driving + lots and lots of idling
smile.gif
car is a supercharged lt1. i dont recommend this oci for normal driving though, i have another vehicle that i do 7k-7.5k in the same area, just a diff car and diff driving style, more normal that is
smile.gif

6k... I am a wimp too. Next OCI, I think I will get a Dyson Analysis to see if 6k is too short, or too long. I wanted to wait until winter, since winter driving will be more severe, IMO (longer warm-ups, etc that beat up the oil).

Put me in the wimp catagory. Old 3k habits die hard. I'm about 2.5k into a planned 6k oci. Motorcraft filters. Lot's of stop and go driving.

quote:

Originally posted by james1:
Put me in the wimp catagory. Old 3k habits die hard. I'm about 2.5k into a planned 6k oci. Motorcraft filters. Lot's of stop and go driving.

The way I figure it is cars are expensive and oil is cheap.

If changing oil a lot is wimpy, then this old cowboy is wimpy, too.

Bob W.

5K mile OCI here, but only because it takes me almost a whole year to accumulate these 5K miles. Otherwise I would have gone longer.

Thats what I thought until I found this board. I now know that more engine wear occurs early after and oil change, the oil then reaches it designed "balance" and the wear rates actually drop after a few thousand miles once the oil is conditioned. I know it hurts at first but 5-6K is better than a 3K change on a quality oil.

02 Trailblazer 36000 miles. GC been in for 6K now. Oil life moniter at 51%. Doing business card blotter test every month. Oil still look very clean, almost new.
Original plan was 6 months, that would be November.
November looks like 8-9 or even 10K.
Think I'll stick with my original plan. May not even change the PureOne filter.

[ September 16, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: 94MaxGXE ]

I have run this oil to 6200 miles in my last car, and on my first interval in my current one I'm going to run it to 5k, and then next summer I'll try an interval from May to October, so it could have as much as 10k on it. There really is no logical reason to push it beyond that (unless you drive 1000 miles per week), even if it can handle it.

1999 Cadillac STS Northstar, 59,031 on it now.
Second interval with GC, this change was done on April 25, 2004. 3563 mi. on this oil right now with 57% oil life left. This means I should get the "Change Oil" warning at about 8286 miles. This also means that I have 4723 miles to go on this oil.....I think I'm going to push it all winter and change it in the spring. This may change if winter driving causes the GMOLI "alogarithm" to drop faster, but I still should make a year. I drive this car on a 300 mile trip every other week, that's it's only purpose. Took the car past 115 during a passing maneuver last weekend...that didn't even disturb my wife sleeping in the front passengers seat.

quote:

I searched the UOAs and found nothing over 10K. Thanks for any input.

Search again. I posted one with 10K and change. I did use LC so maybe that doesn't count with some folks. Single digit wear numbers for 10K miles in an engine that hammers oil sold me on this combo.

I'm taking it to 12,000 next run per Terry's recommendation.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I'm supposed to go 10K in my Audi A6 2.7T, but I'm just not sure I can...when I think of those kleines grünes Moleküle getting squeezed and pumped and dripped and exposed to acids and exhaust by-products and other particulates...I know, I know, I have issues...
wink.gif

The best I have been able to do is about 5200 before I feel the need to bring in a fresh crew...
grin.gif

I went over 10k several times with GC but did not do a UOA because I always poured in some crap filler oil to preserve my stash of prisine succulent nector for the next oil change. Now with 7 cases and better info, I am ready to top-off exclusively with juicy goodness when I go back to the altar this winter. I probally won't go a full 6 months/11k now on it since I DIY change now, probally only 4 months/7500mi. I am currently finishing a final rinse of Delvac 1300S after ARX. For the record, my inital rinse filter was clean after those runs of GC.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Binmonkey:
I will have one coming fairly soon with 9,000 miles on my Audi 1.8T. Another 900 miles to go.

Your are a braver man than me. I have a 1.8T in my 2002 Passat. With all the bad press lately I can't imagine going more than a 5,000 mile OCI, even with GC.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
GC is tested to over 30,000 miles in a 1.8t.

I have no doubt that the GC is good for more than 5,000 miles, but my comment was reflective on the 1.8T "sludge" warranty issues with Audi and VW.

Going to do a 7.5-8k miles OCI on my SHO. I'm about 4,500 miles into it. Probably won't do an analysis, though, unless I have fat loot sitting around at the time.

where'd you hear that GC was tested in an 1.8T engine for 30K miles? was this done by VW or castrol? are you sure it wasnt 30K Km? that seems WAY more logical as the only 30K mile OCI i know of is for European market diesels like the VW PD150, and 130 diesels. im just curious to know thats all.

ps. cant wait for this stupid cyclone/hurricane ivan thingy to get the heck out of my backyard (if i have one left that is) so I can change my oil tommorrow to the wonderful elixir of life-GC!! i have M1 5w-40 in there now and is on almost 8K miles interval without ANY top-up! not bad but well see the analysis first before judgement. if it comes back better than my 2 GC's did, then i may think of a switch. perhaps, just perhaps......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back