German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called Castrol US today here in NJ and they told me that the German Castrol 0w-30 is the same oil as the other US 0w-30 only in a different bottle. They said they have different bottles because they advertise the european specs in europe and API in the US. They said it's the same exact oil and that they have been bringing the european A3 German one over here for supply reasons.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Called Castrol US today here in NJ and they told me that the German Castrol 0w-30 is the same oil as the other US 0w-30 only in a different bottle. They said they have different bottles because they advertise the european specs in europe and API in the US. They said it's the same exact oil and that they have been bringing the european A3 German one over here for supply reasons.
dunno.gif

I hope you realize what they told you is TOTAL BS and makes no sense based on what we are seeing in the stores. I live in the US, not Europe, and the bottles of 0w30 Syntec I bought have the European specs on them.

Chances are the person you spoke with had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

Like Mobil, they too have horrible service. She said that there have been rumors all over the internet about this oil being different when in fact it is not. I don't believe it. Maybe I should by a qt and send off a VOA. When it comes to service, these big oil companies blow. She spoke with her manager, and confirmed this.
rolleyes.gif
I don't buy it. If you look on www.castrolusa.com they do give the A3 spec to there 0w-30 Syntec so it can be confusing.

Side note, they also have an oil visc. selector for cars on there web page that your probably all aware of. They mention using 50wt oils for various cars that call for 30wt. when temps are warm. They also consider 10w-40 a good oil to "control wear". Whateva! If Castrol's marketing and service are any indication of the quality of product they produce, I'll pass on there oil.
wink.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

They don't even market Syntec in Europe so why would they have a "European version" of the bottle or the label?...AND... why would they have a production facility to produce the American formula...AND...if they have bottles of "Old Yeller" (yellow label mixed component stuff) gathering dust (low to no demand) what possible supply problems could they have...AND...if it is same stuff, just from a different source, why the label color change as if they wanted it to stand out (this one COULD be explainable as simply part of new label with changed graphics)?

PS Even though I am part of the "let's all get excited about SLX coming to America" crowd, I can't wait to see what our board members who don't understand what all the hoopla has been about get hold of this thread!
grin.gif

PPS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND CASTROL!

PPS I think Bob (you know which Bob) is smart like a fox. He set up this board and figured as we debated all the oils out there, the marketing practices of the oil companies and watched the UOA parade, with each oil eventually showing a vulnerability of some kind, that quietly,
cool.gif
surreptitiously
cool.gif
Schaeffers products would gain prestige and gain prestige and gain prestige and...I am not so sure its not working!
wink.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
They don't even market Syntec in Europe so why would they have a "European version" of the bottle or the label?...AND...if they have bottles of "Old Yeller" (yellow label mixed component stuff)gathering dust (low to no demand) what possible supply problems could they have...AND...if it is same stuff, just from a different source, why the label color change as if they wanted it to stand out (this one COULD be explainable as simply part of new label with changed graphics)?

Like I said, nothing of what this person at Castrol said makes any sense based on what anyone can observe at the retail level.

As for the Syntec labels, ALL grades of Syntec got the new graphics just before the German stuff started showing up. That's why you will occasionally hear of someone finding a bottle of domestic made 0w30 with the "red label."

I agree with you guys, but did you notice the web page for the US lists 0w-30 Syntec as A3 rated? Has it always been like this? I going to call again and see if I can speak to someone else. I'm fed up with Castrol and Mobil's tech departments. They are ridiculous. Mobil's techs don't know **** about oil. Amsoil however, does a nice job.

[ August 25, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

I agree with you guys, but did you notice the web page for the US lists 0w-30 Syntec as A3 rated? Has it always been like this?

No. Prior to the redesign of the Castrol USA web site, the 0w30 was listed as being A1.

Thats what is making me wonder. It doesn't make sense though.

quote:

Thats what is making me wonder. It doesn't make sense though.

It does make sense, actually. The domestic made 0w30 was an A1 oil. The new German made 0w30 is A3. From that standpoint, the web site is more up to date than the person on the phone.

Trying to back-solve the marketing plan is like about as useful as teats on a bull.

[ August 25, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by sub_zero:
Trying to back-solve the marketing plan is like about as useful as teats on a bull.

Yeah, but it's a heckuva lota fun.
grin.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by sub_zero:

Sub-zero,

Point well taken, but the back-solving does have merit when we can't trust Castrol's tech or PR people and so we have to try to figure out ourselves...is this the REAL DEAL or not and so is it worth getting? Should we HAVE to go through this drill...of course not...it is ridiculous...but then again, if we think we have discovered a "pearl of great price," we go to some links to try to prove it out.

I'm so glad that SLX is green, that way we know for sure we're getting the right oil and aren't getting ripped off with the inferior US made 0w30. That would really suck if they pulled the old switcheroo and stuck the US made stuff in a bottle that said made in Germany.

I'm still waiting for my response back from Castrol Canada. Their website still lists the 0w30 as being A1, not A3.

[ August 25, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

It makes sense but they are selling two different 0w-30's. It could be that they are starting to replace the old syntec with the new stuff from Germany. I've only recently got into this Castrol oil so bare with me if I'm repeating things that have been brought up before.
wink.gif

I agree with you that it is fun. Especially when marketing oil to the consumer market. Since most people have no concept of quality anymore the whizzz bang usually makes the day.

Watching these marketers go to work is like a circus, yet the applied psychology really does work despite how ridiculous it may seem at times. I know, I know unbelievable isn't it.

I did notice at least three different litre bottle packaging schemes for Castrol 0w30 last time I was at Walton's Marketplace and none stated 'Made in Germany'. What gives, I'd love to know.

For the record I think Castrol makes a fine product. Ever notice the fine print during Castrol GTX commercials, if you look closely: 'protection against thermal breakdown applies to only the 5w30 and 10w30 grades', or something to that effect.

Buster, what exactly did you ask the rep? Did they misunderstand, maybe, what it was you wanted?

We've all had the experience of oil tech support being not very familiar with technical aspects of their products, but your description of your encounter has to be a new low.

We should all tell Castrol to go screw themselves, their marketing department should be put on a ship and sunk somewhere deep. They finally seem to get a really good oil to the U.S. shores, then they go off saying dumb crap like that. What dorks.

Its funny that they mention rumours being spread over the internet, he, he, that's funny how they are following this stuff. Hey Patman, better check outside your home every once and a while, Castrol may have someone following your every move and bugging your home due to these rumours that your spreading about them. he, he, he lol !
worshippy.gif

Joey

[ August 25, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back