German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 Characteristics.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a fill of German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 tonight. I have to say that I've never seen an oil that looked so different with its greenish tinge (almost anti-freeze looking) and the smell of the oil is quite unlike that of any other oil I've used. It has a stronger solvent smell to it from what I can tell, unlike the petroleum smell other oils seem to have.

Makes you wonder what its really made of ?

Upon start-up my valvetrain noise seemed much lower with this oil, very quiet, I liked that.

Just some observations I've had.

Joey

[ July 03, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

It doesn't smell like solvents to me. It has a very sweet smell, and as I've commented before, it smells very much like Gummie Bears candy.

And as has also been pointed out, the -81°F pour point means this oil is made with mostly esters.

I've finally made the connection with this German Castrol oil and what it reminds me of. This oil is simply a repackaged Jägermeister with a touch of food coloring used to emulate the color of the Jägermeister bottle. This explains the pleasant odor and the incredible solvent characteristics of this fine elixer.

I would bet that further investigation into the Castrol would show that is is packaged not at the Hamburg chemical facility but rather at the Wolfenbüttel facility just south of Braunschweig. Testing was probably done out on the A-395 by some jolly, red nosed, German technicians after a long day at the bottling plant.

Well, it is a possibility
grin.gif

I want to make sure I understand this right. All Castrol 0W30 is German correct? If not can I simply open the cap and check for green color? If I am going to take a chance on Castrol's products after their "synthetic" shananagans I want to try to make sure I get the real thing!!!

I might try this this winter instead of Redline!

Sure wish I could find this stuff...checked at four Autozones in Colorado Springs and the closest I got was the red label from Castrol US and mixed components...no made in Germany.

pscholte, thanks a lot! I was going to try to find the German 0W-30 in Colorado Springs, and you have saved me a trip if you can't find it! Don't bother trying to find it in Pueblo-I checked out the one AutoZone store and all the Castrol Syntec is american made stuff. I will save you a possible trip!

Thanks to both of you...I will keep looking and if I find, I will post...I will also try to leave some on the shelf...might take a lot of self discipline!!!

Something else I noticed, I just did about 5 hours of driving today and I got the best mileage ever on this vehicle. I'd hate to say its the oil (just swapped it in last night) but nothing else changed since my last trip to the same place (weekly trip). Sime distance same weather conditions, my speed was the same if not higher today, only difference was the oil
confused.gif

sounds foolish to imply its the oil but can't find anything else to attribute it to.

Joey

Seeing as how I can't find it, you're killing me
banghead.gif
I am glad you are able to get it...please keep us posted on how it performs...thanks.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Seeing as how I can't find it, you're killing me
banghead.gif
I am glad you are able to get it...please keep us posted on how it performs...thanks.
cheers.gif

yeah it will be my next oil analysis. My biggest concern if this oil turns out to be pretty decent is the lack of consistent supply at the retail level. No sense getting hyped about an oil if it isn't being sent over here in any great quantity. I'm worried this may just be a one shot deal or something, just to clean out some old stock or some deal like that. Sorry to hear about your lack of success in finding the oil, it took a bit of effort for me to find it even up here where it was somewhat plentiful a short while back.

Joey
rolleyes.gif

I sent an email to someone at Castrol Canada a while back when this oil first appeared and they told me it was here to stay. Although who knows what will happen when the next formulation of oils come out (SM?), they might not bring it here after that.

pscholte, if you find that oil in Colorado Springs please let me know! Save 4 quarts for me, okay!

Mystic,

Will do...I'd even be willing to "hold" four quarts for you if they look like they would run out before I could get word to you.
phone.gif

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I want to make sure I understand this right. All Castrol 0W30 is German correct? If not can I simply open the cap and check for green color? If I am going to take a chance on Castrol's products after their "synthetic" shananagans I want to try to make sure I get the real thing!!!

I might try this this winter instead of Redline!

The best way to know if it's the German Syntec is look at the back label. If it says "Made in Germany" it's made in Germany.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back