German Castrol questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before. I've searched and searched and searched some more, but all I get are mentions of the GC, but no specific comments on where to find it.

1 - Where can you buy GC? (I live Houston, Texas)
2 - What viscocities does it offer?
3 - Is it a Group IV synthetic?
4 - Any comments on GC vs. "the other guys"???

The Castrol website was useless.
frown.gif

But I know you guys will have the answer!
smile.gif

I'll offer up what I know about GC:

1. The only place I've ever seen it sold is at AutoZone.

2. It is offered in only 0W-30.

3. My personal contact with Castrol in Germany indicated that it was predominantly a Group 4 oil.

4. I've used this oil in my TDI Golf, 323i BMW, and my trusty old lawn mower. No analysis was done on any of the vehicles but my sensory perceptions didn't indicate any difference with this oil and the 5W-40's that I normally use in the cars. My lawn mower did smell different while using it but it certainly didn't smoke or do anything unusual.

Overall, I like the product.

I think it is predominantly Group 5. It smells exactly like Fuchs 0w20 which is the biodegradable vegetable based origin.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
I think it is predominantly Group 5. It smells exactly like Fuchs 0w20 which is the biodegradable vegetable based origin.

Yes, and Terry has indicated that the chemistries of Fuchs 0w20 and GC are similar.

I suspect that while Fuchs 0w20 is 100% esters, the GC is more like 80%, with the rest being PAO and possibly some Group III.

quote:

the GC is more like 80%, with the rest being PAO and possibly some Group III.

80%? Wow thats a lot. More then Redline. I would think the HT/HS would be higher if they were using that much ester like RL. It's also interesting that if this oil does contain that much ester, why the scavenging theory doesn't apply here and why GC UOAs are so **** good and RL's aren't.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

the GC is more like 80%, with the rest being PAO and possibly some Group III.

80%? Wow thats a lot. More then Redline. I would think the HT/HS would be higher if they were using that much ester like RL. It's also interesting that if this oil does contain that much ester, why the scavenging theory doesn't apply here and why GC UOAs are so **** good and RL's aren't.

Apples and oranges. Redline uses a different type ester than what is used in GC and Fuchs Titan.

quote:

Apples and oranges. Redline uses a different type ester than what is used in GC and Fuchs Titan

Thats true, with over 300 different types of esters it's hard to tell. FowVay said Castrol of Germany said it's mostly PAO. I find that hard to believe. All we need now is Castrol 0w-40R and some new Pennzoil high end synthetics and we will be good to go.
wink.gif

Here Audis get 10k intervals on dealer dino and have oil pump failures. They are supposed to use in-spec oil and do not. (VW 503.01 or even 502 for God's sake) Lotsa engines failing now, argh. I mention ARX often to Dealer Dino users. GC is SLX I. Those cars in Europe use SLX II with roller-rockers and optical oil quality monitors with an onboard algorythum to compute cold-starts, etc.. Audi's FSS system.

http://www.castrol.de/produkte/a_auto/a_motorenoele/index.html

I just bought a 1994 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3L DOHC last week that had been running Castrol GTX 10w-30 and 30HD with Fram filters for all of its 140K miles. When I bought it, oil had 3700miles on it and was a light honey color. Did a motor flush with a Chemtool-like product, oil still came out a light honey color.

Car now has 144K miles (in 9 days!!) of running the German Castrol 0w-30. No leaks, no drips, no smoke, no top-off. Just good, clean oil...actually it darkened up slightly, but that may be the higher detergency cleaning it up or color change from heat (or the crappy K&N filter!). Mobil 1 is doing the filtering.

I think its good stuff. My brother manages an EZ Lube (Mobil oil and filters exculsively) and he laughed when it came out green (he didn't believe me!). He decided to run it in his 02 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 and loves it as well.

Only available at AutoZone in Ow-30, must have red weight label...I found an AutoZone out in the desert that had a white-label Ow-30 Syntec that had no mention of "germany" or anything to set it apart.

-James Wilson

quote:

Originally posted by Solo2driver:
...I found an AutoZone out in the desert that had a white-label Ow-30 Syntec that had no mention of "germany" or anything to set it apart.

-James Wilson

That's because you were looking at the Bahrain-made Castrol...only available in the deserts of the Middle East...oh...and California...and you can stop at IN-N-OUT in Barstow...Bahrain Castrol and a 4X4 with fries and a chocolate shake...is there anything better? (for those not familiar with IN-N-OUT, a 4X4 is not a vehicle that drives all wheels)

Yes, and Terry has indicated that the chemistries of Fuchs 0w20 and GC are similar.

I suspect that while Fuchs 0w20 is 100% esters, the GC is more like 80%, with the rest being PAO and possibly some Group III.

I am absolutely speechless and astounded. Although a GC v. RL comparison is apples and oranges.

This is premium stuff in composition alone.

It is mind boggling how "outsiders" blindly use Castrol ShamTec when such elite stuff like GC is right around the corner.

This info is making my next oil change choice further impossible. Ohhhh the choices
smile.gif

I love the stuff, what sucks is their is only one autozone around me that carries it but its good they keep it stocked. It makes my saturn run pretty smooth and I saw no decrease in gas mileage as some had claimed. I will be putting it in my toyota asap.

Wow, this GC stuff seems pretty promising. Does anyone know were i can get this stuff in Canada?

And i keep hearing poeple say "maybe your car would be a good candidate for gc?" Now, would my car be a good candidate?
99 pontiac grand prix. 60,000km on the odo
3800 series II engine, N/A
I put 10,000 km on the engine every year, almost all city driven, lots of short trips.

But im still really interested on were i can get thgis tsuff here in canada? prefeablly Ontario.

edit: forgot to ask, would running a 0w30 be safe for my engine, since the manual asks for a 10w30? Whats the main difference ?

Thanks

Roman. The only place that has GC 0w30
is Walmart stores. This oil is actually
thicker than most 10w30 oils (dino & syn.)
so it should be ok for your car.

It sells for $6.99 CDN per litre

So is it worth buying this oil, when M1 is only like 7.49CDN per litre? or is the GC superior?

I just put GC in my Monte Carlo SS (3800 V6). I've been using M1 10w-30 since the first change at 1k miles with excellent results. My first impressions of the GC are positive, although it doesn't seem to be running any different than with the M1 in terms of NHV (noise, vibration, harshness), power levels, etc.

BTW, AutoZone does have Syntec on sale every once in a while. The GC is included, given that Syntec is Syntec as far as AZ is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back