German Castrol OW30 is not rated to GM 4718M ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh oh I think we are raising old ghosts then.

After reading the posts for the past couple months here is my logical deduction.

Assumings its a PAO/Ester formulation you can run 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 with no damaging effects to the engine. That is assuming the engine calls for an XW30 in the 1st place.

Perhaps then GM disagrees with this conclusion?

Might it be that since this oil was probably not originally envisioned as being part of the US market they didn't bother either formulating for that requirement or testing to it? M1 0W30, for example does meet GM4718M.

[ October 01, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Excellent Point,

Castrol Sham-Tec 5W30 does have the GM 4718M spec on the bottle.

Funny how GM has not fought that dumbing down of the Corvette oil designed for a true synthetic like Mobil 1.

Perhaps a tangent question is that assuming all out race conditions can a non-vanity (ie Shaeffers) group III oil produce the same results after a run as lets just M1, Redline, etc.

My take is that the Sham-Tec would be sludged and the M1, RL etc engines would be noticeably cleaner....as intended by the GM engineers running M1 endlessly at the 175mph proving ground romps.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Excellent Point,

My take is that the Sham-Tec would be sludged and the M1, RL etc engines would be noticeably cleaner....as intended by the GM engineers running M1 endlessly at the 175mph proving ground romps.

outrun,

Obviously, I have no test data to demonstrate one way or the other, but I believe that Syntec (I can't bring myself to give it your name for it), while it may be overpriced, is capable of better performance than some people think.

[ October 01, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Sorry then I didn't know that. I always thought that the GM4718 was a Corvette spec and was only to be a 5-30 (as in oils you could use other thatn M-1 5-30). Maybe Patman could chime in here...

I think Dr.T is correct, it's only for 5w30 synthetic oils. It's definitely the Corvette spec. Royal Purple 5w30 has been rumored to be a blend, but yet it supposedly passes this test so therefore it would have to be fully synthetic.

Pat,

I have a bottle of M1 0W30 in my oil cellar; it specifies on the bottle that it meets GM 4718M.

[ October 02, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Pat,

I have a bottle of M1 0W30 in my oil cellar; it specifies on the bottle that it meets GM 4718M.

Mobil 1 0W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA A1,A5,B1,B5
API SL,SJ,EC,CF
ILSAC GF3
Ford WWS M2C913-A/B
General Motors GM 4718M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back