German Castrol is back! (But you can't get it)

I've just found out that Castrol is still making a fully PAO-based Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4, like the original fully PAO-based 0W-30 A3/B4. Other Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 oils are not fully PAO-based anymore; therefore, they cannot be legally sold as full synthetic in Germany. This one can be.

It is called Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4. It is 100% PAO-based according to the MSDS as well as the Oil-Club Russia FTIR data. (These guys have access to an incredible testing lab.) Unlike the Mobil 1 FS and ESP oils, it does not contain any POE (ester), as Castrol oils typically don't contain POE.

The latest version nicely has API SN PLUS for LSPI protection, meaning low-calcium.

TBN = 9.75. It has titanium but no moly very little boron.

Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4 PDS
Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4 MSDS

[Linked Image from oil-club.ru]

Well, nevermind.

After looking at more MSDSs from different regions, I think this product isn't much different if at all than the regular Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, which is about half-PAO-based.

It appears that they made a mistake in the MSDS and repeated the PAO content twice. Therefore, it's probably about half-PAO-based as the regular Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4.

However, it's good to know that SN PLUS -- low-calcium -- oils are now finding their way into the ACEA oils, even though ACEA, unlike API and ILSAC, doesn't require LSPI protection, except for the upcoming A7/B7 and C6 categories in 2020.

Gokhan,
What do you think about Ravenol? I may have asked that question before but can't remember. Is it GC caliber or even better?

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Gokhan,
What do you think about Ravenol? I may have asked that question before but can't remember. Is it GC caliber or even better?

Yes, since the Ravenol is fully PAO-based, its base-oil quality is similar to that of the original German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Gokhan,

Yes, since the Ravenol is fully PAO-based, its base-oil quality is similar to that of the original German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4.

No it is not! Original GC was not popular bcs. it was fully PAO, or 75% PAO, or 50% PAO.
And whether Ravenol is of similar quality or not, you really do not know. One thing is for sure, it is not as popular as any Castrol, let alone GC.

Gokhan,

GC was not popular bcs. of its base stock. Yes, it was PAO, but at that time numerous oils that had European approvals were PAO based.
GC was popular bcs. it had oligomer developed by Ketjenlube which provided very smooth operation. Also at that time 0W30 was quite rare grade for Euro oils that required HTHS of 3.5. During that period when GC had unique green color due to specific additives it also had Porsche A40 approval which was reserved for heavier oils.
Later, Castrol reformulated GC but kept is as top of the line still with hefty dose of PAO. It was 75% then down to 50%, now it is between 25 and 50%. Castrol probably is achieving same results with different base stock.
Now is Ravenol similar quality? Hard to say. Ravenol looks good on paper. However what GC was good at is that it stayed in grade, retained strong TBN even in fuel diluters running American sulfur rich gas. You have to look for UOA of Ravenol and consistency in UOA to draw that conclusion.
Also do not forget, GC was not and still is not cheap. However, it was far more popular in Euro community than Redline 5W30 which on paper looks better. So, it is all about exploitation results.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I've just found out that Castrol is still making a fully PAO-based Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4, like the original fully PAO-based 0W-30 A3/B4. Other Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 oils are not fully PAO-based anymore; therefore, they cannot be legally sold as full synthetic in Germany. This one can be.

It is called Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4. It is 100% PAO-based according to the MSDS as well as the Oil-Club Russia FTIR data. (These guys have access to an incredible testing lab.) Unlike the Mobil 1 FS and ESP oils, it does not contain any POE (ester), as Castrol oils typically don't contain POE.

The latest version nicely has API SN PLUS for LSPI protection, meaning low-calcium.

TBN = 9.75. It has titanium but no moly very little boron.

Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4 PDS
Castrol Edge Supercar 0W-40 A3/B4 MSDS

What a marketing. BMW X6M? What is that? This is aimed at Russian market where every wanna be oligarch wants to drive X6 M or G AMG. I mean FFS.

Since its german, I had to look it up:

"Molybdenum is a chemical element with the symbol Mo and atomic number 42."

So this oil has only 1
I am sure it's a good oil but if I pay extra $, I would prefer much more moly.

I would argue the current Belgian Castrol is pretty similar if not identical to the GC, unless they're lying through their teeth on the PDS:

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 18
As an aside, I only have one more oil change worth of German made Castrol 0w40, then I have three 5L jugs of the Belgian made stuff and now Canadian Tire is clearing it out so once my supply is done I'm going to switch the BMW over to Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

Originally Posted by Patman
If it's not green and smells like gummy bears, it's not as good as the original
lol.gif

To be fair, the last few gens of GC 0W-30 turned gold...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
lol.gif

LOL, it's been that way for like 10+ years.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Wouldn't a calcium number of 2109 be considered high enough to contribute to LSPI?

European turbo engines do not have that issue, with one exception (old VW 1.4 turbo/compressor engine).
LSPI issue is design issue, low calcium oil is bandaid.

I have to say that my gone-but-not-forgotten Opel Astra never ran better than when with German Castrol in the sump...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
lol.gif

That's why I mentioned that the green stuff was the good stuff
banana2.gif

Back