German Castrol in a 05 Saab 9-2X Aero / Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I just got my Blackstone Used Oil analysis: http://imgur.com/kWtd0.png

This was on a ~52K 9-2X Aero (rebadged 2005 Subaru WRX with some blush and lipstick) with 3334 miles on German Castrol and a Wix 51365 oil filter. This is the first oil change with German Castrol. The previous owner used Mobil 1 religiously.

As you can see, the copper and silicone are a tad high. Blackstone said that the high silicone can be caused by dirt getting past the air filter so I'll check that. I'm using a Subaru-made aftermarket intake which was bought used but appeared almost new (the filter literally looked brand spanking new).

The copper is supposedly due to wear of copper parts. OK, but what copper parts are there in these engines?

Some searching seemed to imply that GC UOA typically has *slightly* elevated Si and Cu levels as these elements are part of the additives in the oil. I figured I should confirm with you guys here, however!

Any thoughts on my UOA in general? Thoughts on the Cu and Si in particular? Any insight is much appreciated.

Cheers,
DW

I've read that the old green GC had lots of calcium and very little magnesium, but the new gold GC has less calcium and a lot more magnesium. Stills turns good UOAs though.

Thanks for the replies!

What do you guys think about the Si and Cu? Could it be that there's some of both in GC? I've heard this mentioned over on the NASIOC forums but figure that you guys are the ones to ask!

Si is an anti-foamant in virgin oils but GC does not use Cu as an additive. There may have been several PPM in the virgin oil by accident though.

FWIW, my '05 STi has always registered Si > 12 in all of my UOA's (with an OEM air filter):
Oil_Analysis_For_Posting_2008-02-24.gif

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask you informed people about a change in oil...

I've done three oil changes with GC and done a UOA on two of them. GC has performed well in my Subaru motor. No surprises there.

I just went to pick up some more GC when I saw that Pep Boys has a deal on Pennzoil Ultra (5 quarts and a PureOne filter for $32.99). Based on the buzz, I picked up some PU 5W-30 (the weight which the oil cap calls for) instead.

Based on all I've read, Subaru engines tend to do well with thicker oils, and GC's cSt of 12.2 at 100deg seems to corroborate that. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 has a cSt of 10.3 at the same temp (http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/PENNZOILULTRAFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf).

Any strong opinions about using the PU instead of the GC? With a lack of PU UOAs on the 2.0L Subaru turbo engines, I'm somewhat torn.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask you informed people about a change in oil...

I've done three oil changes with GC and done a UOA on two of them. GC has performed well in my Subaru motor. No surprises there.

I just went to pick up some more GC when I saw that Pep Boys has a deal on Pennzoil Ultra (5 quarts and a PureOne filter for $32.99). Based on the buzz, I picked up some PU 5W-30 (the weight which the oil cap calls for) instead.

Based on all I've read, Subaru engines tend to do well with thicker oils, and GC's cSt of 12.2 at 100deg seems to corroborate that. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 has a cSt of 10.3 at the same temp (http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/PENNZOILULTRAFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf).

Any strong opinions about using the PU instead of the GC? With a lack of PU UOAs on the 2.0L Subaru turbo engines, I'm somewhat torn.

I just responded to your post at nasioc. I don't recall any UOA's on PU in turbo subies either, but you may soon be able to order PU Euro direct from Pennzoil.

PU thread in the Euro forum.

Being that I have Energy Conserving oil-o-phobia, I would run the Euro stuff before the EC stuff. As you may know, although the cap calls for 5W-30, the manual says that it is preferred for fuel economy and a thicker viscosity is required in high temps and severe conditions.

-Dennis

Drivinwest - Any chance your Saab 9-2x Aero is silver 5-speed manual?

I traded one in on valentine's day of 2006, and have regretted it since. I drove away from my wedding in that car, and should've kept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back