German Castrol, how well does it clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 6 quarts of this kicking around and was wondering how well it would clean out an old 89 Celica with 122k on it. Or would something like Pennzoil Platinum or a good HDEO like the new Rotella T5 semi syn 10w30 work better?

Last edited:
Who knows, with either oils its going to take a few oil changes to get things clean...or more. I think all are pretty good.

It has a lot of detergents in it, but if you look at the additive package it looks more like a synthetic diesel oil than a passenger car oil. The low calcium numbers can confuse people.

We've seen sludge prone engines that remained spotless when GC was used.

Well, PP is known for cleaning, and now we have Ultra, which is supposed to clean 45% better than that, so...(shrug)

Or you could always add a quart of solvent ( better known as MMO ) to your best oil, that's a perennial favorite amongst some bitogers.

Does your Celica have the 22R engine? How dirty is it?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
It has a lot of detergents in it, but if you look at the additive package it looks more like a synthetic diesel oil than a passenger car oil. The low calcium numbers can confuse people.

The original green formula of GC had a lot of calcium in it though.

All this excitement about more detergents and cleaning ability. Don't most synthetics (like the one I've used for years M1) do a great job of cleaning? Shouldn't the effort now be towards maximum lubrication and slipperiness/anti-wear?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

We've seen sludge prone engines that remained spotless when GC was used.

+1

Originally Posted By: stenerson
All this excitement about more detergents and cleaning ability. Don't most synthetics (like the one I've used for years M1) do a great job of cleaning? Shouldn't the effort now be towards maximum lubrication and slipperiness/anti-wear?

My yota motors have not liked Mobil 1 or Mobil EP lately. Its the only oil that seems to burn in the engines.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
So I have 6 quarts of this kicking around and was wondering how well it would clean out an old 89 Celica with 122k on it. Or would something like Pennzoil Platinum or a good HDEO like the new Rotella T5 semi syn 10w30 work better?

Robenstein,

I don't know much about GC but when I had my 89' Camry with 250K on it I used Mobil 1 since it was available in the Los Angeles area stores. They all thought I was crazy then and now look as everyone doing it! Instead of using a 10W-30 oil you can go to a 5W-30 and get good results. I did it to my 89' and got good results. You'll save by getting a very slight increase in MPG too although you might not see it on your guage.

Either way this forum indicates GC is a good oil so you can't go wrong by trying it once to see how yu like it.

Other than M1 my persoanl second choice of oil is Quaker State "Q" synthetic in 5W-30.

Durango

How do you know its dirty did you pull the valve cover? I'll be doing my valve cover gasket next month on my Celica and i'll take pictures to compare since i have 2x the miles

But GC is a good choice or just run dino with some MMO or Seafoam that would clean it up if it needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back