German Castrol here to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and want to thank everyone for all the great information. I have absorbed a tremendous amount of information, thanks!

I recently bought some GC (well some, I bought all 8 quarts) from my local Autozone. My 2003 Saab 95 runs a lot smoother than when I had M1 0w-40. I'll run an analysis on the next change.

To the point. Back to my local Autozone (austin texas) today, it is stocked *full* of GC! Manager ordered more 0W-30 and that is what they received. Anyone else experience this?

welcome.gif

A lot of people are worried about trying this oil for fear it won't stick around, but more and more it looks like it's here for a while.

I still hear people in many warmer southern states saying they can't find it though, so it's nice to see it available in Texas.

I'm curious, has anyone in Florida found it yet?

My local AutoZone has had nothing but old yellow label for months. I have been checking often
blush.gif

I've got another 5 liters from Toronto. Maybe I'll stock up when I go there on Thanksgiving.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
My local AutoZone has had nothing but old yellow label for months. I have been checking often
blush.gif

I've got another 5 liters from Toronto. Maybe I'll stock up when I go there on Thanksgiving.

If I haven't bought it all up first!
wink.gif

Just kidding, I've got 34L of it, so I'm good for a while, and my wife says if I buy anymore she's confiscating my credit card.
smile.gif

FINALLY! Stopped by the local AutoZone today, and they had the GC!
I bought all they had, 12 quarts. $4.79 a quart. They assured me they'd be getting more in stock.

And just as everyone says, it's green in color, and has a pleasant odor.

I've been looking for the stuff locally since reading about it on here, and this is the first I've seen of it.

Checked three Autozones and the local WalMArt here in Central Iowa ......... no friggin' GC ...... all still yeller' label 0W-30 Syntec on their shelves
mad.gif

vvk
quote:

My local AutoZone

In Phila, I found a random case at the AZ on Washington Ave and 17th. They re-order based on sales, you could try them. I'd part with a case when I am around Phila if you really want one. Actually, I can get all I want here in the Poconos, so let me know how much you want, I'll deliver.

How to tell...it says "made in Germany" on the back.

Here to stay? As long as they have overstocked supply in Germany (and from Aus)...yes.

quote:

Originally posted by Dom:
Why is this oil so good? How can I tell the German version?

I don't know what makes it so good, but it's sure showing consistent UOAs on here. I just posted another one this evening, 6900 miles in my sister's car. It's yet another good report for GC!

I still have misgivings that this oil is here just until they run out of GC that came from Germany and maybe Down Under. There is no question it is a very good oil, and maybe an ester-based oil or at least an oil with a lot of ester in it. Such an oil should cost a lot, but you can buy in at an AutoZone for roughly $4.00 a quart. There was a post here a while back where a guy said that he had observed this oil being replaced by an oil called Castrol R or something like that. It is strange that it is available some places (usually in small amounts) and not available at all in other locations. If I was selling a new motor oil I would make sure it was available in many stores and all possible locations.

Now don't get me wrong-I have tried this oil and it is a very good oil. My car ran great with in. It apparently flows extremely well in the cold (so well that people are convinced that it has esters), and protects like a 40 wt. oil at high temperatures. One problem for new car/truck owners is that it does not have the API Starburst symbol.

If it is going to be sold just until the supply runs out, there are going to be some angry people here at this web site.

quote:

Originally posted by doctorb:
I recently bought some GC (well some, I bought all 8 quarts) from my local Autozone. My 2003 Saab 95 runs a lot smoother than when I had M1 0w-40. I'll run an analysis on the next change.

welcome.gif

Nice to see another SAABer here, I will be installing GC into my '02 9-5 Aero in about a month, and will be interested in the results (and yours!) I will run it for 5K.

After that I'll probably try Delvac 1 5W-40 and perhaps see if it can last 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back