German Castrol 0W30 in K46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about draining the factory 10W30 out of my John Deere X300 K46 trans axle in spring. I have a few bottles of GC left in my stash and believe this would be an excellent oil to put in there. The factory recommends using 5W50, but I believe the GC would work even better? (more shear stable from the heat) what do you all think? it only has around 16 hours on it now so...

Ryan

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I was thinking about draining the factory 10W30 out of my John Deere X300 K46 trans axle in spring. I have a few bottles of GC left in my stash and believe this would be an excellent oil to put in there. The factory recommends using 5W50, but I believe the GC would work even better? (more shear stable from the heat) what do you all think? it only has around 16 hours on it now so...

Ryan

It specs 5W50 but the factory filled it with 10W30? Odd. If 10W30 is OK, GC 0W30 should work fine.

Ryan

Do you run it at all in the winter? Winter running is the only reason they recommend a 5W50 instead of a 20W50. I'd rather have a thicker oil in there as its the fluid "leaking" in the hydrostatic pump that creates heat, that kills the oil and trans itself. Anyways, ask your dealer if they'll back you up if you put your oil in and there's a problem. If not, I'd just run the 5W50 for the warranty and then go to a 20 or 15W50 if you only cut grass.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Ryan

Do you run it at all in the winter? Winter running is the only reason they recommend a 5W50 instead of a 20W50. I'd rather have a thicker oil in there as its the fluid "leaking" in the hydrostatic pump that creates heat, that kills the oil and trans itself. Anyways, ask your dealer if they'll back you up if you put your oil in and there's a problem. If not, I'd just run the 5W50 for the warranty and then go to a 20 or 15W50 if you only cut grass.

yes i use it to plow snow

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Ryan

It specs 5W50 but the factory filled it with 10W30? Odd. If 10W30 is OK, GC 0W30 should work fine.

i know its odd, but they recommend for better/longer service. use the synthetic 5W50. why they just don't initially fill it with that oil is beyond me...

German castrol 0w-30 should be fine. Its closer to a 40eight anyways so should work fine for winter.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
German castrol 0w-30 should be fine. Its closer to a 40eight anyways so should work fine for winter.

thanks jimzz

I would use the recommended 5w50, not the 0w30. The K46 isn't the most bullet proof transmission, and Tuff Torq changed the recommended fluid for a reason. They did the same thing with my K66. It originally came with 10w30. When I drained it and replaced it with Castrol 5w50, the old fluid came out like water and looked awful. With the new fluid the trans operates much quieter and feels stronger. It had a significant whine before.

jeepman, im surprised to hear that re; your k66? They are supposed to be bulletproof

Last edited:
JTK said:
Is 5w50 even available?

Yes, castrol makes it. And i think Mobil-1 does too.

Thanks Lex.

I've never seen the stuff. It's been years since I've dealt with a TT trans, but I know they used to claim to fill them with 10w30 from the factory. I too think that's a bit flimsy of an oil for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back