German Castrol 0w30 data!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the info Patman, that clears things up. I'll keep my eye out for it. I think our store shelves move slower than shops in your area, we just got Supersyn a short while ago in our Walmarts. Very little 5w-20 oils available too, they just started stocking Penzoils stuff recently. Castrol 5w-20 has been out in the states for a little while, but can't find that up here yet.
mad.gif

The german 0w-30 is green, according the to german data sheet that patman sent me to translate, there wasnt much for relevations in the prose there.

I wrote a small summary to patman who is free to post it, but it inludes not all that much useful technical info I think just a couple of minor things.

Fred...
smile.gif

Is the viscosity index of this oil really that good ?, perhaps for a thirty point spread it might be. It is close to Schaeffers 5w-30 oil in terms of VI. Looking at other quality synthetics like Redline and Synergyn, their viscosity indexes appear to be better on 5w-30 weights, can you compare VI between different weights ?. Also the cost of different oils is certainly different.

[ February 23, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
The viscosity index of this oil doesn't look overly impressive, but I guess for a thirty point spread it might be. It is close to Schaeffers 5w-30 oil in terms of VI. Looking at other quality synthetics like Redline and Synergyn, their viscosity indexes look much better, but I guess they should be based on their price.

Actually, if you look at Red Line's VIs, they are all LOWER than other oils of the same viscosity (with the exception of their 15w50). My theory (and TooSlick has alluded to this as well) is that a relatively low VI is a good indication that the viscosity spread is being accomplished primarily with the inherent VI of the base oil blend and not with added VI improvers. This is a GOOD thing, and I'd say it applies to the Castrol SLX 0w30 as well.

The lab that I use for my oil analysis up here also tests for Viscosity Index, so this is another way we can prove that this Castrol 0w30 is indeed the SLX formula.

The VI depends on the quality and the type of basestocks used, so I don't think you can really tell until you run the stuff. For example, the Amsoil 0w-30 has a VI of 196 and definitely has some VI improver. It will shear a bit in the Toyota V-6 for example ...

In this case, since they have a pour point of -78F and a HT/HS of 3.6 Cp, they have some VI modifier added to the mix. You could not do that just with basestock alone in a $5.00/quart oil. Maybe with some exotic and very expensive ester, but I've never seen it.

I would expect this 0w-30 to be more shear stable than a 0w-40, FWIW.

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The lab that I use for my oil analysis up here also tests for Viscosity Index, so this is another way we can prove that this Castrol 0w30 is indeed the SLX formula.

I'd strongly encourage you to do a VOA of this oil before you run it so we'll have a baseline to compare the UOA to.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
In this case, since they have a pour point of -78F and a HT/HS of 3.6 Cp, they have some VI modifier added to the mix. You could not do that just with basestock alone in a $5.00/quart oil. Maybe with some exotic and very expensive ester, but I've never seen it.

From what I understand, this oil is quite a bit more expensive than other synthetics in Europe. It could be that Castrol is just biting the bullet here and selling it at the same price as the other Syntec grades, or maybe they are going to charge more for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

how about the colour, the SLX sheet calls the oil green in colour, no other Castrol oil is green, that might be another indicator if it refers to the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back