German Castrol 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the famed GC at AZ last night and I know much has been posted on it, but it would take hours of searching to answer my questions so here goes...
At $4.99/ quart is it a buy as compared to the $3.98 Syntec on sale at Advance Auto? Would it be O.K. for 2001 Civic(5w20 rated) and/or 1999 Caravan ? Would it blend nicely with dino Castrol to make a blend? Is it still being produced? Thanks all! Merry CHRISTMAS!
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Thanks, what do you mean overkill? It is currently a balmy 5 degrees in Chicagoland, would my current 5W_ suffice? Great Christmas logo!

1) By overkill, I mean that the 2 vehicles you mention are not hard on oil & do not require synthetic oil.

2) Yes, 5w30 dino is fine in 5° weather.

Your current 5W20 oil will be thinner than Castrol's 0W30 at 5 degrees F. In fact most 5W30 oils will be thinner than Castrol's 0W30 at 5 degrees F.

quote:

In fact most 5W30 oils will be thinner than Castrol's 0W30 at 5 degrees F.

By not that much, if any.
GC will work nicely in the cold weather and last much longer than a dino.
GC would be an overkill in your vehicles if you wouldn't want to extend your oil change intervals.

quote:

By not that much, if any.

The point was that he was choosing it because he thought it would get him better cold weather performance due to the 0W rating. In fact it will not perform as well in cold weather as a 5W20 or even most 5W30 oils.

quote:

The point was that he was choosing it because he thought it would get him better cold weather performance due to the 0W rating.

Where did he ask that?
confused.gif

quote:

In fact it will not perform as well in cold weather as a 5W20 or even most 5W30 oils.

It's not a fact.

I know a lot of people say that GC doesn't perform well in cold weather compared to most 5w30s, but I beg to differ. My car sits outside almost every single night, and last winter there were quite a few sub 0F nights. I don't use a block heater or any other starting aid, so my engine is quite cold on that first start. But yet my oil analysis results from that winter's oil interval looked extremely good, with engine wear numbers that most people would kill for even in hot weather!

So obviously this oil gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back