German Castrol 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it would be safe to say that Walmart will be carrying the GC 0/30 on a regular basis, or is the stuff destined to disappear from the shelves on us in lieu of some other Canadian made offering? Is it available anywhere else here?

I wish we knew for sure, but Castrol isn't saying. That's why I like to keep buying it and keeping a bigger supply than I really need.

Maybe Castrol will keep it available here seeing as there are a lot of Mercedes and the like in this country, which I assume it was primarily designed for...whether that has anything to do with it or not!! Any issues do you suppose with running it year around in a Toyota 3.4L V-6?

[ November 20, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: 7TFord ]

I don't see a problem running it year round in your car. I'm running it year round in my 95 Firebird, my wife's 2000 Civic and my dad's 2004 Volvo XC70 (low pressure turbo 5 cylinder)

What's your opinion on their Syntec 10/30? I know it isn't a true synthetic in the sense of the word but it has been refined to the point of being better than a straight petroleum...has it not?

quote:

Originally posted by 7TFord:
What's your opinion on their Syntec 10/30? I know it isn't a true synthetic in the sense of the word but it has been refined to the point of being better than a straight petroleum...has it not?

I've seen a couple of Syntec 10w30 UOAs where it thinned out pretty quickly, so I don't think it's built all that well. It seems their Syntec Blend is better, believe it or not! I still can't figure that one out, but all of the Syntec Blend reports on here, in both 5w30 and 10w30 form, look to be pretty good.

quote:

Any issues do you suppose with running it year around in a Toyota 3.4L V-6?

I hope not...
wink.gif
I'm going to try a couple 7500 mi. intervals in my 4Runner unless the first one is poor. That should be 6 months to a year for me. I'll be posting the UOA'a when I get them...

gc castrol 0w-30 is also avaiailable at canadian tire in the mississauga area (clarkson), I e-mailed castrol canada re: its availability and they said gc 0w-30 would continue to be available.

I think as long as they have unused/unwanted stock in Germany...you'll keep seeing it on the shelves. Must be cheaper for them to import it than make the U.S. version...can you say 'overstocked'.

I don't think we're seeing an overstock situation, remember that the SLX is just now being introduced in many countries.

Is interesting that the SLX it is no longer being offered in the German market (not listed in castrol.de), They seem to be moving to the RS formula.

Globalization, my friend... I'm pretty sure it is cheaper to continue producing it over there and ship it all over than it is to make it in the Americas. They also capitalize on the "Made in Germany" label, it seems like "Made in USA" has lost some its prestige...

--
Carlos

Just heard from a person who works for Castrol in Poland that they started selling a new version of SLX called SLX Longtec. Apparently some changes to the additive package were made, but he was not willing to reveal what those changes are. Although I did ask if they added Moly, but he said 'no'.
grin.gif

Also, the SLX (and the new SLX Longtec) are shop products, only available at dealers and wholesalers. Not available in retails stores. That is probably why you don't find much info on them on Castrol's websites.

However, if in fact it's true, that SLX is being replaced by SLX Longtec, then maybe that's the reason why all the leftover SLX is being dumped in the US now.

quote:

I would go with Schaeffer's 10w-30 blend before using Castrol 10w30 syntec. As we all know, Castrol is a group III while Schaeffer's is a group III/IV Blend (and cheaper).

I tried the German Castrol and it made my car engine run real smooth. I like it, but I have some misgivings.

For one thing, there is no API Certification. Probably does not matter but if anything did go wrong they could maybe void your warranty.

For another thing, there is something wrong, in my opinion, that the German Castrol is so hard to find and that Castrol has not started to make it in the USA.

Stop and think about it: The German Castrol costs only about as much as Mobil 1. It seems to be able to compete with Mobil 1 as to quality and cost. So Castrol potentially has a Mobil 1 beater in the German Castrol. So WHY do they not replace the Castrol Syntec made in the USA with the German Castrol?

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I tried the German Castrol and it made my car engine run real smooth. I like it, but I have some misgivings.

For one thing, there is no API Certification. Probably does not matter but if anything did go wrong they could maybe void your warranty.

For another thing, there is something wrong, in my opinion, that the German Castrol is so hard to find and that Castrol has not started to make it in the USA.

Stop and think about it: The German Castrol costs only about as much as Mobil 1. It seems to be able to compete with Mobil 1 as to quality and cost. So Castrol potentially has a Mobil 1 beater in the German Castrol. So WHY do they not replace the Castrol Syntec made in the USA with the German Castrol?

I think replacing the made in USA variety is exactly what they are doing. For now anyway. In talking to the guys at 3 of the local Autozone stores they all say the same thing. The current "Castrol Syntec 0W-30" is the red label German stuff. That's all they get in current shipments. The yellow label Made in USA stuff is old stock. But since they don't do stock rotation it might be a long time before all the old stuff is gone. It seems the reason it took so long to appear around here is that the product is such a poor seller there was never any reason to get more in...

[ November 22, 2003, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I just went to the three local AutoZone's closest to my house and picked their shelves clean of the "Made in Germany" Castrol 0w-30. Five from one store, six at the next, and eleven from the last - for a grand total of 22 quarts! I just spent over $100 on oil, and neither of my cars are even due for an oil change!!! DARN THIS WEBSITE!
gr_eek2.gif

As a side note: Sure enough, behind the last bottle of GC at each store was the "Made in USA" Castrol 0w-30, covered in dust.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

I would go with Schaeffer's 10w-30 blend before using Castrol 10w30 syntec. As we all know, Castrol is a group III while Schaeffer's is a group III/IV Blend (and cheaper).

....Actually no. It may well be a better oil but the Schaeffer's would be of significant cost to have shipped to where I live, as there is only one dealer that I'm aware of in B.C Canada. The Castrol Blend is approx. $4.00 a bottle here at Walmart.

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
I just went to the three local AutoZone's closest to my house and picked their shelves clean of the "Made in Germany" Castrol 0w-30. Five from one store, six at the next, and eleven from the last - for a grand total of 22 quarts! I just spent over $100 on oil, and neither of my cars are even due for an oil change!!! DARN THIS WEBSITE!
gr_eek2.gif

As a side note: Sure enough, behind the last bottle of GC at each store was the "Made in USA" Castrol 0w-30, covered in dust.

That's a brilliant shelf design at Autozone.
rolleyes.gif
The only way to restock the shelves is from the front. Which means the only way to rotate stock is to pull everythign off to get the new stuff to the back...

Hi,
I know many of you are enthusiastic about the GC SLX 0w-30 and I have related my story here before

Not wishing to be an alarmist,I would encourage you to monitor the varnish levels within your engine if using this product

Castrol RS is now the only synthetic petrol oil range sold here in OZ

Last week I was in New Zealand and saw old ( SJ ) stock SLX etc on shelves

BP have just taken action to de-franchise many existing fuel/oil sales oulets in NZ and are moving to wholesale activities. Legal action is being contemplated. Their actions here in OZ have been a disaster!

This BP/Castrol merger has been a real lesson in Corporate bullying with the end user being kept in the dark. Be suspicious, be careful

I would not touch their products now ( except for the remaining older excellent Castrol branded gear/transmission lubricants )

They need to do a lot of work here in OZ to rebuild credibility in the Castrol RS range - they are probably great products. Its just the maker's ethics!

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
I know many of you are enthusiastic about the GC SLX 0w-30 and I have related my story here before

Not wishing to be an alarmist,I would encourage you to monitor the varnish levels within your engine if using this product

I've been wondering about this too. Exactly how does this product compare to others as far as long term engine cleanliness. I know M1 works pretty well in this area. I've seen inside engines with 200K miles on them and all was well.

I added 3oz of Auto-Rx to the German Castrol when I did my first fill with it just to make myself feel a little better about it...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back