German Castrol 0W-30, 4200 miles, 07 MINI Cooper S

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2007 MINI Cooper S with a turbocharged engine. The engine additionally has the John Cooper Works (JCW) engine tuning kit installed on it when the engine was around 8000 miles old. This tuning kit adds another 17-20 horsepower to the standard Cooper S engine.

The oil sample was taken during an oil change. I should also mention that I did 80 minutes of hard racetrack driving on this oil sample. The current UOA is for gold GC 0W-30. The sample dated 02/01/09 is also for gold GC. The sample dated 05/24/08 is for BMW/MINI 5W-30 oil. No racetrack driving on the previous samples.

Despite some track driving, everything looks good in this sample except slightly high levels of iron. I guess this is something I would have to live with. Any comments?

MINI-ThirdOilAnalysis.jpg

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS:
"Wear again looks pretty good in the sample from your Mini 1.6L 4-cylinder. Metals were generally low and in a very nice balance. Iron was mildly high again, but this is probably from the racing, and we might add that typically we'd expect metals even higher since the engine takes a beating on the track, but your numbers are nice and low. The TBN of 4.7 shows plenty of additive still active against acidity, and resultantly wear. The viscosity was 0W/30, and no water, signs of antifreeze, or fuel contamination found. Try ~6K miles on the next oil fill."

Looks pretty good...Iron is a bit high. Stil breaking in a bit? Not sure.

I like this oil. Definitely a 6k run to see.

I've used it before in my Mazda3 and am REALLY thinking of trying it again, though for the price I would pay, I could try the new Edge.

That is an excellent UOA for a hot little turbo that went well over an hour at track. Also, it will still be having some break in wear. And, I don't doubt you like to let the turbo spool now and then ;-)

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
That is an excellent UOA for a hot little turbo that went well over an hour at track. Also, it will still be having some break in wear. And, I don't doubt you like to let the turbo spool now and then ;-)

Indeed, I like to hit the redline as much as possible whenever the environment is safe to do so!!

Yeah, and stick with this oil. 5k-6k with some hot rodding now and then... GC will hold up perfect.

Don't mean to hijack but I am interested in the BMW/Mini oil. You say it is a 5w-30 oil. I really like the zinc and phosphorus numbers and it is pretty thick for a 5w-30 oil. Does this oil come in a bottle or is it dealer bulk? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
Don't mean to hijack but I am interested in the BMW/Mini oil. You say it is a 5w-30 oil. I really like the zinc and phosphorus numbers and it is pretty thick for a 5w-30 oil. Does this oil come in a bottle or is it dealer bulk? Thanks.

Autozone sells it by the quart. Wait for a sale and buy it with a Mobil 1 filter at a good price.

Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
hillclimber, what oil is it? So as there is no confusion, I am asking about the oil dated 05/24/08. I assumed that it was the oil from the dealership.

Yes, I got that 5W-30 oil from the dealership. It comes in quart-sized bottles. It is branded as MINI 5W-30 oil and it is the same as the BMW-branded 5W-30 oil sold at BMW dealerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back