german 0-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
would you recommend using the german Castrol 0w-30 in a 1997 T-bird (4.6L v8) with 82,000 miles? if not, why not? if yesy why yes? and thanks for all the feedback on my Pennzoil questions...is there a Motorcraft 10w-40 synthetic?

This is the list of oils from Motorcraft's website, which, by the way, is in dire need of an update.

SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Motor Oil
SAE 10W-30 Premium Motor Oil
SAE 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil

Motorcraft is a brand name existing to sell parts for Ford/Lincoln. They don't really make anything. Some, if not most of their oils, are Conoco products.

You would be fine with the 0w-30, no doubt. Unless your Bird is burning oil, you likely don't require a 40 weight but you could use one. The German Castrol, Mobil1 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be suitable choices for OTC synthetics that you can find readily in stores.

I wouldn't recommend it. IMHO, I think it would be "too thin" for your engine...the 10-40 sounds more in line for your application...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I wouldn't recommend it. IMHO, I think it would be "too thin" for your engine...the 10-40 sounds more in line for your application...

Too thin? It's 100°C vis is 12.1, which is almost a 40 wt. And it's 40°C vis is 68.5, which is "thicker" than virtually any 10w30 at that temp.

True....**** , give it a try and report back to us.

I used to have a 1997 Cobra with the DOHC 4.6. Used M-1 5-30 from day one. It was fine for about 4k mi. and then it would consume it and it began turning very dark. The 0-30 Syntec may be different....go for it.

Wow...didn't know you can't say h$ll...ok, then heck!#!# go for it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back