Geography Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why we need Geography lessons in schools...

How uneducated Canadians see the world:
canmap.jpg

How uneducated Americans see the world:
usamap.jpg

good stuff - as a self proclaimed geography expert it is amazing how little the average person knows about what is outside of their own little world. I do agree with the wimps part tho!

I thought we might all get a kick out of it...
LOL.gif

We have a show up here called "Talking to Americans" and they talk to random people all over the US about things going on in Canada and it's weird to see how disconnected the US is from Canada but yet we are very much informed about what goes on south of the border.

It's a hoot to watch and you could probably find Youtube videos on it.

It's because we get a ton of American media and none of ours makes it south of the border because no one would be interested.

grin2.gif

Let me also say I love all my American friends and have family in that live in the US. My brother is also going to Boston's MIT. So please don't take the maps the wrong way, it's all in good clean fun!
wink.gif

I am reading a large book on Dien Ben phu and the French failure in Indochina in the early 1950s. The author made two statements about the French based on quotes and documents.

1. They were and are terribly resentful of America for saving them as it points out their own inability to do so. (Like resenting the rich guy who gave your poor family food for several years).

2. They never forgave the British for doing the "wrong" thing and holding out instead of surrendering to the Nazis along with the French. This caused , in their minds, a lot of destruction to their country as England was used as an attack base against france and germany in the war.

Both of these are very interesting points, particularly the second, and go a long way in understanding why the map is labelled "wimps". As americans, we have to understand the horrible destruction and loss of life in Europe between 1914 and 1945 in order to even begin to understand how they think today.

That's hilarious! And quite true!

You'd be amazed at how many folks do not know the first thing about places outside the US. And we're supposed to be educated?!?

One of my big "comes the dawn" moments was when I realized that the French helped the US in the revolution because it was a chance for them to stick there thumb in the British eye!

Quote;
Both of these are very interesting points, particularly the second, and go a long way in understanding why the map is labelled "wimps". As americans, we have to understand the horrible destruction and loss of life in Europe between 1914 and 1945 in order to even begin to understand how they think today.

Very important point!
My Grandfather lost his sight and one lung (due to Mustard gas) in WW1, My other GF suffered shell shock and killed himself after that war. My Father lost half his intestines and was sill picking shrapnel out of his body when he died (aged 64).
I grew up playing on Bomb sites, I don't think there was one street in the town were we lived that DID NOT have bomb damage! (imagine a Mini 911 on every street corner?)
The year I was born, USSR invaded Hungary, when I was Ten they invaded Checkoslovakia, I did not wonder 'When' I would have to go to war, but only when?
Thank heaven I did not.
I'm a Wimp and proud of it!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
*resists inner urging to show links to CNNN videos*
Ah, c'mon... Lets see 'em

Why is this?
What do U.S. schools teach in the way of World Geography?
I remember being exposed to a Globe and a World map in Kindergarten, Geography them progressed continent by continent (just the basics).
By secondary school it was individual counties, economies and world history. Is this NOT typical?

Aparently not...

I get the impression that Geography is taught more like this. "This is America, and this is the rest of the world, but it doesn't really matter because this is America!"
LOL.gif

(KIDDING!!!!)

I dunno. I knew all the provinces/territories by grade 5 and then in high school learned world geography and what continents were what etc.

Somewhere along the line, geography teaching in the U.S. morphed into something called "Social Studies", which is now mostly a self-esteem class. What little geography that does get taught seems to quickly be forgotten.

Yes, that's about what I suspected. What a shame!
To me, as a Kid, it was much more interesting to see 'our' place on the Globe, then, progressively 'Zoom in' on our country, understand it's position in the world, rather than get bogged down with the intricacies of our own Back yard.
'Social Studies' (at an early level) always seems open to interpretation or Bias!

We had both in High School and Social Studies didn't have much to do with Geography. That's interesting that your education system does.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back