Genuine VW Mann/AP Store Mann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was interesting yesterday when went to the VW dealer in town since it's near my vacation spot to pick up a couple more filters and an extra drain plug. With the exception of the current Napa I've always used a Mann in my VW. The past couple filters had been marked made in Mexico. I purchased those through Advanced Autoparts. Looked at the box of the Genuine filter from the dealer and I be danged if it wasn't a Mann made in Germany...

(Also note the excellent price I got these for. They are normally $13 at the auto parts store! Never heard of dealer genuine parts being cheaper)

So, what's the deal with the "same" filter being made in two different places? I don't really notice a difference from what I remember. I will be purchasing these filters from this dealer from now on since they are priced very well.

Originally Posted By: Delta
So, what's the deal with the "same" filter being made in two different places?

Why not? Some OEM vendors have multiple manufacturing facilities either for redundancy or to make the product closer to the target market to reduce shipping cost and speed up delivery.

VW dealers typically get a lot of the parts from Germany anyway, so it probably makes sense for them to get their filters from there at the same time.

By they way, you can find these mann filters online for even less. You just need to order enough at a time to qualify for free shipping.

Lots of VWs are made in Mexico. Personally we boycott those because they could be made in the USA.

But one must acknowledge that if theyre building cars there, likely they are having suppliers make stuff nearby, which means that filters and other stuff is likely made in a plant there.

If the AAP logistics train for a product made in Mexico is cheaper than a product made elsewhere, for the same item, then they will get better pricing for FOB location x then y and they will select x.

maybe at some point Mann switched production from germany to mexico (or vis versa). I wonder how different the mfg dates are

You should stock up on those filters at that price. Buy ten of them and keep them put away. That filter retails for $14.00 and the wholesale price is $10.08. You got a deal!! Take advantage of it before their inventory software catches up.

RockAuto has the Mann packaged filter for $8.92 if your dealership deal dries up.

Yea I was really surprised at the price. Going to stock back up when I come back up here in October. That dealer is definitely going on my go to list when I come back to the area. I do need to stop back by there for a set of wipers before traveling back home so I might pick up a couple more.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
RockAuto has the Mann packaged filter for $8.92 if your dealership deal dries up.

BTW, Autohausaz has them for $8.66 currently, but you'd need to order $75 worth of stuff to qualify for free shipping. No sales tax either, unless you live in AZ.

Aren't the K&N filters made in like China now or something? I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole, particularly given that he can get the OEM, made in Germany, filter for the price he's getting them at.

OP: Those are a great deal, I'd stock up
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back