Genuine Honda A02, 7387 miles

Filter was in use for 3 months and 7387 miles in a high-mileage 2016 Acura RDX. Oil used was Havoline Lifelong 0W20.

All of the filter internals appeared to be in good condition.

60F69BD9-F344-4279-830E-F7EDF791FBF7.jpeg

CF862BA9-1F05-4185-8924-6CDE4101BDA5.jpeg

D5BF1A3F-F3F9-49CE-AC40-0C9A7D6DF524.jpeg
1D2A1333-EE82-4E8E-A02A-A5C4914078E8.jpeg

Hard to find nowadays, but I didnt bother based on its filtration performance.

It is interesting that Honda rates this filter to be usable for 20K or over, basically two full OCI's.

Last I looked this was somewhere between an extra guard and a tough guard- but even those models have changed now.

It goes to show that even mid ranged quality filters can take more time than is commonly believed.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
There are lots of Hondas and Toyotas pushing 350,000 miles running Jiffy lube oil and filters. Don't sweat the inconsequential increments of supposed improvement.

In a strictly auto application - I dont. Cars are under so little average load they can last for eons with crappy service.

In a truck application I do. Trucks under load are a different deal.

I lost count the number of 5.3 chevies completely clapped out at 10 years and 100-150K that rolled into my boat shop.

Cars are under so little average load
But if you ask the majority of people on internet forums, FB car groups, etc, etc, they are 100% convinced that their usage has to be considered "severe". It just has to be.... like it's a badge of honor.

But if you ask the majority of people on internet forums, FB car groups, etc, etc, they are 100% convinced that their usage has to be considered "severe". It just has to be.... like it's a badge of honor.
Look any vehicle owner's manual and it's typically not hard to meet the "severe" use category as defined by the vehicle manuafacuter.

In a strictly auto application - I dont. Cars are under so little average load they can last for eons with crappy service.

In a truck application I do. Trucks under load are a different deal.

I lost count the number of 5.3 chevies completely clapped out at 10 years and 100-150K that rolled into my boat shop.
How were they maintained? How big of a load did they haul? Gas engines don't last long under hard use no matter the oil or filter. Years ago the company I worked for had a gas engine class 8 type 10 wheel with a roll back bed to haul forklifts, every three years I would replace the pos engines the company would buy. Finally they bought a truck with a 855 ci cummins engine in it and never had to replace the engine for 20 years.

Last edited:
How were they maintained? How big of a load did they haul? Gas engines don't last long under hard use no matter the oil or filter. Years ago the company I worked for had a gas engine class 8 type 10 wheel with a roll back bed to haul forklifts, every three years I would replace the pos engines the company would buy. Finally they bought a truck with a 855 ci cummins engine in it and never had to replace the engine for 20 years.

Typically they all got somewhere between regular and severe maintenance using mostly OEM filters.

Most family's and guys have half tons, or suburban type deals.

Most towed from 5-7K 25 ish weekends a year between summer posts and winter sports through the scorching desert in the summer.

So cals most popular boating destination is actually the colorado river and associated chain of lakes which are a pretty brutal tow

The combined heat, and hills is really hard on NA trucks requiring lots of RPM for extended times.
The top ends go first with all the Rpm under load taking a toll on the valve train and it starts passing air.

Its under these circumstances with the little stuff you do to keep things cool, and clean internally start to add up.

the really hard use stuff are the marine engines - cooling isnt a problem with the lake but continuous unending duty cycle from the minute you start going to you go back to idle is even worse with the Mercury 500 platforms lasting about 250 hours on eth top and 500-700 on the bottom.

By keeping the oil and everything squeaky clean you can often reuse the crank at rebuild time.

Back