Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I'm in the right section.
Shopping for a portable generator to provide power for a home during power outages.
Sump pumps (3), refrigerator, ...
Any models or specific items to include or avoid?
Thx.

I have a Coleman 6250 Powermate. Very noisy.

Investigate wiring it it. Expensive to be legal. Maybe more expensive not to be.

Maybe overkill for just a backup generator but I have a Yamaha EF2800i, 51 db running and 57 db at full load, 20 hr run time on 2.5 gal @ 1/4 load average. 60 db is average conversation level.
We used it building our house and were thinking about going off grid so we didn't get a cheap one. Now its just a back up but we've used it a couple times every year.
Ian

Picked up a Harbor Freight 3500W generator a couple years ago. Not a bad little unit. Ran it once for four days continuous except for the oil change every 24 hours or so and for adding gas. Nice little generator with a Chonda motor on it. Fairly quiet compared to others. I've been happy with it. Has a voltage regulator that will output around 125V at 62Hz under light load and drops to 115-118V at 59-60Hz near full load. HF has it for $299 every once in a while.
HF 3500W Generator

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Hope I'm in the right section.
Shopping for a portable generator to provide power for a home during power outages.
Sump pumps (3), refrigerator, ...
Any models or specific items to include or avoid?
Thx.

Are the sump pumps all 120V? What is the total amps of all of them, plus the fridge?

Do you really need all sump pumps running? I have to guess yes; storms bring out the worst.

Consider whether you want an inverter generator (like the excellent honda EU series, knockoffs abound) which will idle down under light load. Otherwise, a cheap generator will spin 3600 RPM to give the required 60Hz AC even under light electrical load... and that sounds obnoxious and adds wear.

I got my in-laws a $200 4 cycle 2500 watt chinese special and it's really quiet and works well. Has a several gallon gas tank, low oil shutoff, nice for unattended use. They do make 2-stroke gennies for as little as $100 but they would be short-lived and obnoxiously buzzy.

My own generator is a 1977 8 hp briggs tied to a mcculloch "mit-e-lite"... very heavy, very loud, somewhat finicky due to age and neglect. It does start every time though, in subzero temps with 30 weight oil...

All pumps are 120v, two could run simultaneously and with the fridge kicking on the wattage needed would be right around 5k.
I found a Briggs and Stratton w/5.5k for around $800 and I'm leaning that way. The Hondas are really nice, quiet, etc.; but for the infrequent use (hopefully) I don't think I'll spend the cash for them. Subaru had a nice one too.

honda gx or robin-subaru based. Nothing else is worth it, unless you have the potential to run with really low-grade, sub-par fuels for long periods of time - in which case a flathead B&S is the best choice!

I have a 1700W Robin Subaru inverter generator, which puts out AC and DC... I love it, and it is super-quiet. I dont have sump pumps, but this is a good unit to run the refrigerator, freezer, and a few lights.

My inlaws deal with a LOT of outages, as well as hurricane risk. Ga$oline generators were just too inefficient. They have kubota (IIRC) diesel gensets, and they love them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back