Generator Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents:

I have a Subaru RG4300i Inverter Generator w/ EX27 air cooled engine & it is time for OC.

Would synthetic motorcycle oil provide any additional protection or benefits over the M1 10w-30 I have been using ?

Since motorcycle oil are designed to operate in "air cooled" environment I'd imagine it is better suited for a generator than automobile engine oil ?

Please advise.

Last edited:
There are three possible advantages Motorcycle oil might provide, and one small disadvantage.

First advantage - as you noted, motorcycle are designed primarily for air cooled engines, which tend to run hotter.

Second, motorcycle oils tend to have elevated levels of zinc anti-wear additives, which might provide a benefit for small engines with oil-slinger (non-pressurized) oil systems.

Third, motorcycle oils tend to have extra anti-corrosion additives to protect against rust during periods of storage or non-use, which is great for generators.

A possible small disadvantage is motorcycle oils will not have friction modifier additives to make the oil more slippery, which might cause very slightly increased fuel consumption (probably unnoticeable though). The reason is these additives cause problems in motorcycles, as their clutch surfaces are wet and share the engine oil sump. The friction modifier additives can interfere with proper clutch operation, which require a certain amount of friction.

There is one oil that provides all three of the above advantages, without the disadvantage. Amsoil's Z-Rod series provides all these benefits, but has the friction modifiers. This is what I use in my small 4-cycle engines.

I spent the first few years changing oil and filter on my 16k generator every 6months M1 and Puralator white as it was THAT important. A few years have passed (installed in 2009) and now I'm a PYB 8-12 month guy and the oil still is as if it were new.

Unless you are running yours a lot....as in 50hour+++ don't sweat it buddy!

If I had to do it all over from the start this is what I'd do:

I would install and run it with FF for about 5 hours in the first month. Change out filter and move it to PYB and Puralator white can, change on a schedule of every 6 or eight months. I like to do every May/June and Dec/Jan. And I do this knowing I could easily go 12 months and be fine.

Off the top of my head, I like GC, T5 & PU 10-30... Using the PU in a couple Honda 2000's. Once that's used up, I'll probably use the T5 as that's becoming my multi-purpose go-to oil... I imagine that T6 wold probably be fine if consumption becomes an issue but T5 is pretty stout stuff.

John.

I prefer Amsoil ACD. If FM is important in MC or other oils, LM MoS2 or lubriguard engine oil additive might do the trick.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Clevy
This question comes up at least once week. I suggest using the search function.

I have searched for the SEARCH function.

Aaaaaaaaand, what did you find?
cheers3.gif

Lots of good advices.

btanchors: Your explanation makes perfect sense & Amsoil's Z-Rod series looks like the best choice.

BISCUT: I run my Subby only when power goes out in summer which happens no more than twice/yr ( I wish I get to run it more often though). In reality it sits more than anything else. Being a 4300 watt unit, it does not have an oil filter, think Amsoil Z-Rod series is a good choice based on my usage.

REG# 43897, tig 1 & JHZR2: M1 is what I've been using & NP so far. I will change it out w/ Amsoil & provide an update in near future.

Clevy: I disagree with your "librarian" mentality. After all, everyone has something to bring to the table. New technology, new products, ideas & sharper new minds should be encouraged to help others advance, rather than being stagnant. SEARCH is fine if one is complacent w/ existing data, information, knowledge etc etc. IMO, if you are not moving forward in this competitive world then you are falling behind.

Last edited:
Is the recommended vis 10W-30?

Z-rod will work, as will the ACD 10W-30, or HDD 5W-30, or the ASE small engine oil. I prefer ASE, but Z-Rod has about the same amount of anti-oxidants.

I run M1 10-30 in all my small motors which call for it these days over st30 and have never had an issue.

I like it because I can use it as top off oil for my truck as well, so I don't have a lot of quarts sitting around the garage.

Based on Owners Manual, both 10W-30 or 10w-40 are acceptable. But so far I only encountered power outages in summer & out here in S. Cal temp can reach 100+ at times. For as infrequent as I run it, IMO Z-Rod would provide advantage.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Is the recommended vis 10W-30?

Z-rod will work, as will the ACD 10W-30, or HDD 5W-30, or the ASE small engine oil. I prefer ASE, but Z-Rod has about the same amount of anti-oxidants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back