General Tire : New all weather tire : Altimax 365 AW

Interesting. I'm a General fan, I have a set General Grabber HTS 60 tires on my SRX and they are great.

Don't care if they're a copy of Michelins. If they are NOT made in China and are good tires, I'd buy them (if I lived up north).

I'm one of those people that will pay more for a lower rated tire if the top rated tire is made in China and the next best is made in anywhere but.
Looks like my size (225/60R18) is made in Slovakia. Not sure where the others are made.

I am really a fan of continental/general tire. I have a set of general Grabber At2s with 15k on them already and i am super happy,with the way they perform on highway, off pavement, rain and wear.
When the michelins on the RX expire I will look at these.

Has anyone pulled the trigger on these yet?
It's tempting, but it doesn't have "Tire replacement monitor" like the RT43... , which the General version isn't as good as Continental's version, which uses the letters D-W-S as their wear monitor. They need add "SNOW" to the TIRE REPLACEMENT, so that when the "SNOW" letters wears out, you're left with the regular TIRE REPLACEMENT until it says TIRE REPLACE.

It's one of the things I liked with the Nokian winter and all-weather tires, it has the DSI and WSI monitors to tell you when you should ditch the tires. Right now, my WR G4 (SUV) are toast for winter, but I have the other 3 seasons to finish wearing them out.

It's tempting, but it doesn't have "Tire replacement monitor" like the RT43... , which the General version isn't as good as Continental's version, which uses the letters D-W-S as their wear monitor. They need add "SNOW" to the TIRE REPLACEMENT, so that when the "SNOW" letters wears out, you're left with the regular TIRE REPLACEMENT until it says TIRE REPLACE.

It's one of the things I liked with the Nokian winter and all-weather tires, it has the DSI and WSI monitors to tell you when you should ditch the tires. Right now, my WR G4 (SUV) are toast for winter, but I have the other 3 seasons to finish wearing them out.
A penny works pretty well...you know, if you can see Lincoln's head....

A penny works pretty well...you know, if you can see Lincoln's head....
That's the 2/32" inch requirement.

But for the snow depth requirement, where in certain states, it's 3/16" (6/32"), Lincoln's head doesn't work.

The quarter trick is only good to about 4/32"

Targeting 245/55/18... Limited choices. 2nd option is Michelin CC2.... But more $$$ and they do not reward spirited drivers...

RT43 only T rated in the above specs...

That's the 2/32" inch requirement.

But for the snow depth requirement, where in certain states, it's 3/16" (6/32"), Lincoln's head doesn't work.

The quarter trick is only good to about 4/32"
Tire Depth Gauge (linked) is cheap. More expensive at Amazon. I have I think 3, keep it in my glove box. Part of that is I check my tread often all the way across. You can see it but this is quick and lets you know if you are wearing flat. if less tread in middle, you are over inflated. less tread at sides, under inflated (or really hard cornering often).

Most winter tires also have an added wear bar at 6/32". Judge all that way and you know at that point you have reduced snow traction. Wet gets worse from that point also.

Using the depth gauge showed pretty quick that my Sonata needed 2psi more in front tires than the rears to wear flat/even with summer or winter tires. They make more expensive digital ones also if you want to get more crazy. I probably will someday because that's me.

Back