General Motors Unseated As America’s Top Selling Automaker.

I don't want to bash GM, they make pretty good cars today the problem was that they spent a couple decades making a lot of bad cars which they're still paying the price for today. Brand perception is a lagging indicator and it's hurting GM now just like it was hurting Toyota in the 80's when many American consumers still labelled it's cars as "Jap crap".

Exactly.
We can all sit around and bash GM, but at the end of the day it's our own economy that suffers.
When you are on a fixed budget or retired I can promise when you shell out what they all want for a new vehicle you had better do your homework.

GMC reliabilty has been in the tank since the late 1970s and only went further in the wrong direction, I do think they are finally getting on board and making better quality but I just heard today they are planning to follow FORDs lead and make trucks and SUVs only and still up in the air if Camaro will survive!? They shot themselves in the foot long ago. The managers who did this are long gone enjoying the plush golden parachute retitement packages with bonuses they gave to each other while they abandoned a sinking ship. American workers and consumers suffer for their mismanagement failures every day.

Good work Toyota , GM did this to themselves with the lifter problems they having with the V8’s. The Problematic 8spd auto they stuff in there 60k trucks and giving customers the run around when they tried to get it repaired.

The lifter issue can be fixed permanently. The 8 speed is a trash design, I've already 6L80E swapped a 2017 GMC Denali using a PCM, Harness, & TCM from a 2017 5.3L/6L80E GMC SLE.

I would have never guessed GM was the top selling US automaker. They don't deserve that title. Now, they don't have it.
Agreed. I always assumed it was Toyota. And after owning a GM product for two years (2018 Silverado bought new), I’ll never buy another again.

In 2020, Toyota was the largest auto manufacture in the world in which they had unseated VW. However that title still goes to VW who took that title back again. VW doesn't sell as well here in the states and their total worldwide sales includes all of the manufactures that they own/tookover/purchased. Many which are not sold on these shores. Toyota remains the wealthiest auto mfg. on the planet.

GM only has themselves to blame; they handed the sedan market to the Japanese and the Koreans, and their infamous 3.6L that they use across the board in almost everything is nothing short of a disaster. As much as I adore their fullsize SUVs, and they are essentially their bread and butter for the categories they compete in, not everyone is out there to buy a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban - especially considering cost. This is, essentially, a repeat of history going back to the 70s.

They also singlehandedly tarnished reputable model names forever, such as putting the Blazer name on what is essentially a front wheel drive, unibody POS. Same goes for the Trailblazer, and the Equinox never really had any appeal to begin with. I have no idea what the point of even having the Trax is, and the Traverse I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole with that 3.6L. As far as their other brands go, I personally cannot bear to see the GMC nameplate on models like the Terrain and Acadia either, but that is just my own opinion. When you market yourself as "Professional Grade", you should not have disposable vehicles like those in your lineup.

Back