General interest question about Nissan 9 speed automatic transmissions.

Kind of perusing the manufacturers websites and am astonished at the pricing and saw the Nissan smaller pickup being a relative bargain and it has a 9 speed transmission. I know there are some Nissan pickup fans on the site and was curious of what they thought of the 9 speed? Seems like I hear many complaints about that specific number of forward gears in transmissions from other makes. Specifically FCA.

FCA is basically the ZF 9 speed. and due to its traverse design for FWD there are some trade offs.. which can result in slower shifting

iirc 4-5 and 7-8 are dog clutches and require shafts to match speed?? this is from memory.

The zf-8 speed is very well liked but its not just because its an 8 speed vs 9 speed.. the 8speed is for rwd applications and much snappier on the shifting.

The newest FCA 9 speed is MUCH better from both reliability and performance perspectives vs earlier models ie 2014/15 esp.

They fixed most of the reliability issues by 2016 model, but the performance is still being improved the 2019 I have now is much better than the 2017 I previously had.

I havent heard much about nissan but last I heard they were going to ditch the jatco CVT for a 9 speed.. no details given.

Kind of perusing the manufacturers websites and am astonished at the pricing and saw the Nissan smaller pickup being a relative bargain and it has a 9 speed transmission. I know there are some Nissan pickup fans on the site and was curious of what they thought of the 9 speed? Seems like I hear many complaints about that specific number of forward gears in transmissions from other makes. Specifically FCA.
It also depends on which product you get. There are 2 zf 8 speeds used in chryslers products... the 8hp45re and the 8hp70. The 8hp45re is the chrysler version of ZF'S 8HP45 and is produced in America at a plant built in Indiana. Alot of people think its not as good as the actual ZF made in Germany version. This transmission is found in the 6 cylinder rams, grand cherokees and chargers, 300's.... The 8hp70 is still made by ZF and is found in the 8 cylinder models of the above cars. Both have been pretty successful and have a good reputation (especially the 8hp70). Here is a link to a pretty detailed write up about them. The 9 speeds made jointly by ZF and FCA have a far less positive reputation being plaqed with problems after first coming out.

It also depends on which product you get. There are 2 zf 8 speeds used in chryslers products... the 8hp45re and the 8hp70. The 8hp45re is the chrysler version of ZF'S 8HP45 and is produced in America at a plant built in Indiana. Alot of people think its not as good as the actual ZF made in Germany version. This transmission is found in the 6 cylinder rams, grand cherokees and chargers, 300's.... The 8hp70 is still made by ZF and is found in the 8 cylinder models of the above cars. Both have been pretty successful and have a good reputation (especially the 8hp70). Here is a link to a pretty detailed write up about them. The 9 speeds made jointly by ZF and FCA have a far less positive reputation being plaqed with problems after first coming out.
Kind of comparing apples to oranges here, but the way the 845RFE shifted in my v6 300 is almost identical to the way the 8hp70 shifts in my 1500, massive torque difference notwithstanding. Super smooth when you’re just cruising around, nice firm shifts when you get on it, and almost always in the perfect gear.

I remember there being some teething issues in the Durango’s and Grand Cherokees with the 845RFE in 2014-early 2015 models, not sure on the other models. After that haven’t seen anybody complaining.

There are actually more than 2x versions for FCA:
1. 8HP45e, as mentioned
2. 8HP50, replaced the 45e from 2018 up in Durango, used in the Giulia & Stelvio as well as the Wrangler and Gladiator
3. 8HP70, as mentioned
4. 8HP75, used in the performance Giulia & Stelvio, 2019+ RAM 1500 & 2500 + Wrangler EcoDiesel
5. 8HP90, used in the SRT Hellcat applications
6. 8HP95, used in the Grand Cherokee SRT Trackhawk

For 2021, they are adding some electric assist versions, diversifying the offerings even further:

I just read the "Truck of the Year" competition in Motor Trend Magazine. Whatever nine speed there is in the regular Titan half-ton they really liked it.

BTW-the RAM TRX won. It's three years in a row for the RAM trucks winning.

Last edited:
Back