General Electric, Rolls Royce, or Pratt & Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pratt & Whittney J-58

1/2 points if you know what that's from
wink.gif

Jet engines. Is that 2.5 points? All three are good but some I know in that industry seem to like the Pratt & Whittney better, but I don't know why.

I might add my favorite is the one that does not shut down while it's under the wing of the plane I'm on.

Not sure what what your asking here. I do know all three design and manufacture aircraft engines.
The Rolls Royce Merlin made a kinda doggish P-51 the
"Cadillac Of The Skies".

Originally Posted By: uplandr
J-58 powered the SR-71.

Bingo! 68,000lbs of thrust. Mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good!

I love that plane.

800px-J58_Duxford.JPG

I'm trying to find just one non-epic fact about the SR-71, and not succeeding...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I'm trying to find just one non-epic fact about the SR-71, and not succeeding...

Indeed. That plane is simply the best aeronautical creation of all time. Developed in the 1960's and it was untouchable when retired in the 1990's. 30 years of service, INCREDIBLE record, and they STILL use them to test chassis's for supersonic flight.

Yes, they strap other plane designs to the back of the SR-71 and test them at supersonic speeds.

Truly a legend.

I'll settle for a RR Trent 900 used in the A380's. I would just have fun figuring out what I would want to do with it. Nothing malicious of course.

I've yet to ever see one in person. May never see one. But I'd guess I was about 12 when I learned of all its glory. I'm guessing it HAS been replaced with something undisclosed. Several have said no use for a replacement as satellites can do it all now. EH... I still feel there's an odd job here and there that can't be done without a plane.

Not sure. All three have made some pretty good engines. But my personal favorite is the Rolls Royce RB211-535. General Electrics GEnx looks promising. But I like the GE90, its flipping huge. P&W's PW4000 is a great engine. But you GOTTA pay respect to the JT8D and JT9D. They've been the backbone of many air carriers since the 60's with a great service record. I miss the the scream of those JT8D's though. Technically it's not a PW and it's made by IAE I LOVE the IAE V2500. Powerful, efficient and just sound [censored].

LM2500... I like the 38 as well. The 501K34 is a fuel hog (on purpose), but our MT30 is pretty neat...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
LM2500... I like the 38 as well. The 501K34 is a fuel hog (on purpose), but our MT30 is pretty neat...

Used to play with the the LM2500s when we had them. Loved the starter motor on them.

Work have just finished installing 4 off GT13E2 Alstom units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back