Generac GP7000E Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this generator about two years ago and thought we might get hit by a hurricane this yaear, so I'm thinking of using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and a Purolator pure one oil filter.Do ya'll think this combo will last 100 hours except to stop and fill the gas tank every 11 hours.

has it been run in yet?

if its not broken in you may need to change the oil one time sooner than that.

I prefer 15w40 dual rated oil such as delo,delvac 1300 etc.

Amsoil 4 Stroke is what I use in all OPE. I would go 50 hours. Change it after every multi-day outage. You never know how long the next one will be. You do not want to change it in the middle of an outage. Also keep an eye on the oil level and check every gas fillup until you have a handle on it.

Are you keeping say 20 gallons of stabilized gas on hand? Start it and load it up with heater or halogen work light once every month or two.

True if you can plan it. But the failure they had in San Diego a few years ago effected over 1 million people and was caused by a worker changing a defective switch in a substation.

While you can prepare for a hurricane you cannot prepare for a tornado, or general grid failure.

What I do to be safe is just change the oil every 36 hours or so it only takes few min's and that way I don't have to worry about being dirty or running low. I usualy change oil and clean fuel bowl and fill with fuel in five min's tops and back on line.

Mine ran 15 hours a day for 19 days after Hurricane Ivan and 7 days after Dennis. I changed it every 7 days with Rotella 15-40. Now I run it each spring for 10 minutes under load, drain tank and carb and back in storage. Still starts on first pull. Get a spare start/run capacitor as that is the only thing I had fail. I had three units given to me after Ivan that only needed a new capacitor.

I would not use PP in an air cooled engine because even the best of them will boil / evaporate the oil. I prefer diesel rated oil in generators.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
I would not use PP in an air cooled engine because even the best of them will boil / evaporate the oil. I prefer diesel rated oil in generators.

I think I agree with this. ^^^^

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

Is there some evidence to support this amazing statement? Boil, evaporate the oil?

M1 5 or 10-30 is what I use. Holds up very well in high heat conditions and long runs. Also a friend(certified Generac tech) uses M1 5-30 in all the Generac standby gens he services.

Because of the heat where you live, and the potential of having to run for days at a time, I vote for any HDEO in 15W-40, or Rotella T5 10W-30 if you're concerned about staying in grade. I have been running 15W-40 in my riding mower for the last three years. Runs strong, great fuel economy, tall grass not a problem. The only reason I run 5W-30 in my generator is that I may have to run it in cold weather if snow/ice storms take out the power lines. If I have to run it more than one day in summer, I'll change it out.

I think i'm going full synthetic,Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40,Delo 400 LE Synthetic 5W-40 or Rotella T6 5W-40.Which one ya'll think is the best or is the best not on the list.

Cujet post here on BITOG #1780297 - 02/13/10 11:06 AM

would be a good read. Cujet has several post here on BITOG about how good Mobil 15W50 is and in some of those post he wrote about neighbors air cooled engines not surviving in the Florida heat while his continue to run without problem with the 15W50.

There are many good oils. GC, Rotella T6 5W40, M1 TDT, Mobil 0W40, Mobil 5W40, Mobil 15W50, Mobil V Twin 20W50 The thicker oils (50 weights) would be for HOT days.

Personalty I would stay away from Rotella T5 if it is still not JASOMA rated. Rotella T6 is JASOMA rated.

I keep GC in my two gen-sets, 5000 / 6250 Watt with Tecumseh 10 HP, and Generac inverter type 2000 watt.

However I also keep two quarts of Mobil V Twin 20W50, and two quarts of Mobil 15W50 for hot days.

There use to be an oil for air cooled engines that run on natural gas. I think RedLine made it, but I looked on their site and do not see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back