Gen Next May Not Do As Well As Its Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard this since I graduated high school in 1999.
So far I have done ok and have a house in a similar location and size of my parents.

The difference is that I don't have kids yet.

By the time my folks were my age they had 3 kids, and a house for 6 years.

Right now I am putting my wife through college, the plan is to start a family when she gets her Bachelors. Although she is thinking about a Masters.
After being unemployed and taking a job for significantly less, and picking up a part time job on the side, I have learned that a Bachelors is the new GED.
If you want to be promoted you have to have at least one Masters degree and probably a Masters and a few certifications in your area of expertise, and you have to be really really well liked by the upper echelons of your organization.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I'm glad I've lived within my means and have saved.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

It really isn't hard to do if you're a smart consumer and you don't need all the latest gadgets and consumer fads.

Yeah, a fool and their money...

The issue is solely that there are THREE BILLION people coming up in the world and competing for YOUR food, YOUR job, YOUR dollar. Some are bound to be smarter, and therefore will win.

We are all at risk of this, those of us who make smart decisions will fall into normalcy, those of us who dont, will live like the third world.

And its not like having it worse than now is so bad. Lots of people love the 50s and 60s as a wonderful time... But think about how many TVs, radios, stereos, computers, refrigerators, freezers, etc. they had compared to today. In many households where the numbers for all these things would have been one back then, it is now "multiple".

The combination of competition plus a history of unsustainable living is what is going to cause some peoples' standards to drop.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

If you want to be promoted you have to have at least one Masters degree and probably a Masters and a few certifications in your area of expertise, and you have to be really really well liked by the upper echelons of your organization.

Probably the latter more than the former. Employers say they want many things but what they really want is slightly cheaper help than the competition, so they can output a product that's flashy but it's all bull and corners are cut just below the surface.

The flipside is if you're the guy who fixes all the many underqualified coworker's mistakes, and get in good with the higher ups, you have it pretty well.

Right now I am putting my wife through college, the plan is to start a family when she gets her Bachelors. Although she is thinking about a Masters.

If it delays having kids..let her go for a Doctorate.

I've heard this since I graduated high school in 1999.
So far I have done ok and have a house in a similar location and size of my parents.

The difference is that I don't have kids yet.

By the time my folks were my age they had 3 kids, and a house for 6 years.

After being unemployed and taking a job for significantly less, and picking up a part time job on the side, I have learned that a Bachelors is the new GED.

Yeah, at my age my parents had a family of their own. I'm doing much better right now than they were at this age. Then again, I'm pretty good with a buck.

The only way to get ahead in this economy is to be well-liked, or indispensable. Best to be both. Being the only person who can do a particular job is a good bit of job security.

Will my eventual kids live as well as me? Likely not. Not unless they learn to be indispensable in whatever organization they end up in.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The party is over, now it's time to pay the bills.

More like it's party time for the wealthiest, now it's time for the middle and lower class to pay the bills.

Im doing about the same as my folks. In some ways better. In some i fall short.

But i notice things about the up and coming generation. They are often quite incapable and many are poorly educated or worse. Of course this depends on location too.

That also depends on if we are still a free country in 10-15 years...

At that point, there are many more issues then simply living within one's means...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And its not like having it worse than now is so bad. Lots of people love the 50s and 60s as a wonderful time

You know what the darnedest thing about that is personally; I've come to the point that I enjoy listening to the radio more than I do watching TV! That and reading more. The utter [censored] on TV as far as news is concerned - I can't listen to it anymore. THANK GOD.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And its not like having it worse than now is so bad. Lots of people love the 50s and 60s as a wonderful time

You know what the darnedest thing about that is personally; I've come to the point that I enjoy listening to the radio more than I do watching TV! That and reading more. The utter [censored] on TV as far as news is concerned - I can't listen to it anymore. THANK GOD.

+1

Right, because the stuff on the radio is really THAT much better. It's all the same guys just without the picture...

I'm doing way better than my parents. my dad came from a 3rd world country and my mom grew up in a trailer and she didn't work. they don't have college degrees and I grew up in a 1000 sq foot home.

But I'm worried about the next generation after me. there's not really a plan for jobs even now.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
That's okay. They will be so indoctrinated, they wont care.

I see it every day.
frown.gif
That and the "zombie" stare with most of this younger generation, very few say "Hello!" anymore & have very minimal eye contact.

What's wrong with them? Is it all the mobile video screens, iPods, etc.? ...and how interactive (or lack of) will they be raising "their" kids?

They've been told
"Race for the top"
"Your future is your problem" (while the baby boomers haven't retrospectively changed their own "promised" conditions)
"Eye contact" isn't encouraged by dinner time T.V., Video games, or aerial drones, so why expect it to be part of the culture ?

The generation of "entitlement" has set their PONZI scheme, ensured that the next gen can't get it (while paying for theirs), and making them pay their own way...

These kids have been trained to want today, as they are paying for yesterday already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back