Geico leaving California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to get my thoughts in before people bash California... but I mean it's an expensive state to do business in and most people use GEICO directly w/o an agent anyways. Seems like a smart business decision.

I can only speak for my experience when I called Geico.

They are actually not cheap at all, almost always one of the higher price ones for the same coverage compared to AAA, Progressive, Nationwide, Mercury, etc.

Berkshire lost a ton of money in California wild fire insurance claim on the property insurance, they probably are leaving CA to avoid the market all together.

They spent a lot of money on advertisement, almost the most advertisement I've seen, but with their prices and their agents' "If you can find it cheaper elsewhere maybe you should buy from them" attitude, they are not going to win much businesses like the Farmers' agents hustling left and right.

I'd put them together with QuickenLoans, always advertisement, only do cream puff businesses, then keep calling me telling me they have the best deal when they don't, and I found someone cheaper or better.

They are actually not cheap at all, almost always one of the higher price ones for the same coverage compared to AAA, Progressive, Nationwide, Mercury, etc.

Berkshire lost a ton of money in California wild fire insurance claim on the property insurance, they probably are leaving CA to avoid the market all together.

They spent a lot of money on advertisement, almost the most advertisement I've seen, but with their prices and their agents' "If you can find it cheaper elsewhere maybe you should buy from them" attitude, they are not going to win much businesses like the Farmers' agents hustling left and right.

I'd put them together with QuickenLoans, always advertisement, only do cream puff businesses, then keep calling me telling me they have the best deal when they don't, and I found someone cheaper or better.
My experience with Geico has always been satisfactory. No insurance company we've checked has had a better rate for the same coverage. Sweetie saved $200.00 a year on her coverage, and got greater coverage for that lower price compared to Enterprise, Progressive, and one other co. we checked.

I check prices and coverage every two years or so, and in the 7 years I've had Geico no company I've checked has even come close to Geico's price and coverage.

All personal interactions have been pleasant and efficient, and whenever I've asked for help (rarely), help came quickly and was satisfactory.

YMMV

I guess it all basically depends where you are. They're the cheapest for me. For a long time, Geico just did business in 49 states, the one state it didn't do business in was Massachusetts but that changed years ago. Also have phone access is pretty good too. I actually managed to buy auto insurance right after I paid for a car at night. Drove across state lines to NY, inspected a car and bought it on the spot by just handing a check to the guy that night. As I had called them earlier for a quote on the car and had already given them the vin number of the prospective purchase, they had everything they needed to insure the property that day when I called as they already had my credit card info on file. Did it all while driving back.

My experience with Geico has always been satisfactory. No insurance company we've checked has had a better rate for the same coverage. Sweetie saved $200.00 a year on her coverage, and got greater coverage for that lower price compared to Enterprise, Progressive, and one other co. we checked.

I check prices and coverage every two years or so, and in the 7 years I've had Geico no company I've checked has even come close to Geico's price and coverage.

All personal interactions have been pleasant and efficient, and whenever I've asked for help (rarely), help came quickly and was satisfactory.

YMMV
Are you talking about a walk-in office or by phone?

quote-
We continue to write policies in California, and we remain available through our direct channels for the more than 2.18 million California customers presently insured with us,” GEICO told the Bee in a statement.

They are not leaving California as an insurer.

See my post above this one......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back