Gearbox temperature?

I have a Vermeer TM850 disc-mower with 3, right angle gearboxes. At 60 degrees ambient temperature the front 2 gearboxes run around 145-155 degrees.
The rear gearbox is running 180-190 degrees. At 90 degrees ambient temperature this gearbox will be running 210-220 degrees.
Lube specs are GL5 90
So my question is how hot is too hot??

Last edited:
I'd make sure the gearbox isn't under/overfilled, but I really don't worry about gearbox temp until 240-250F. Just use a good synthetic fluid and it should be good to go at 220F for a good long time.

My neighbor has an international hay cutter processor thing and last summer the gear oil boiled out of the drive unit that turns the "crusher?" rollers , you couldn't hold your hand on it. The other drive "wobble box?" that was for the sickle bar type cutter was warm as expected.. We changed the oil to M1 75W-90 and after cutting 3 acres of hay the roller gear unit gear box was running cooler by feel than the "wobble box: unit? Anyway oil is some what cheap and a oil change couldn't hurt.

Reactions: 4WD
My neighbor has an international hay cutter processor thing and last summer the gear oil boiled out of the drive unit that turns the "crusher?" rollers , you couldn't hold your hand on it. The other drive "wobble box?" that was for the sickle bar type cutter was warm as expected.. We changed the oil to M1 75W-90 and after cutting 3 acres of hay the roller gear unit gear box was running cooler by feel than the "wobble box: unit? Anyway oil is some what cheap and a oil change couldn't hurt.
I have changed the oil 3 times, the first 2 I used a cheap synthetic, (walmart), the last time I used Valvoline synthetic and used a magnetic drain plug, I will drain again & check drain plug and then if I see a lot of crap on drain plug, I know what to do.

More Info,
All 3 gearboxes will have the same load, PTO shaft goes in the top GB 1, down to GB 2, out with another PTO shaft to GB 3 (the hot one)
GBs are correctly filled.

Do you have a dealer you can ask? Something does seem strange.

I don’t think an oil change will change anything personally.

I was looking for metal in the old oil..

I meant changing it here on out since you’ve already done it. I also got the impression it would somehow lower the temp. I dont think It would.

If metal is what you’re looking for, change it again.

I meant changing it here on out since you’ve already done it. I also got the impression it would somehow lower the temp. I dont think It would.
You know on this forum, several posts have said that "synthetic will lower the oil temp" in this case it did not, or all the other had "placebo effect":)

So my question is how hot is too hot??

"rule of thumb" for gearing in general is 100F above ambient and usually the "limiting factor" is the max temp of the oil or the seals. ( some variances there )

You said one at 60F and one at 90 ambient- what are the uniform temps at a given ambient? ( little confusing there)

"heat" (in and of itself) is not always an indicator of a problem but differences in heat frequently is an indicator of a problem.

What you should look for is differences in like boxes and then heat "zones" ( If the heat uniform or focused in a particular area)

Then look for additional clues ( loading, alignment, tension [if a belt system], smell, noise etc.)

several posts have said that "synthetic will lower the oil temp" in this case it did not, or all the other had "placebo effect

Those claims are often misstated and taken out of context or spoken without proper qualification. If changing the oil 3 times has not produced a noticeable difference- it aint the oil. Look elsewhere.

"rule of thumb" for gearing in general is 100F above ambient and usually the "limiting factor" is the max temp of the oil or the seals. ( some variances there )
The rule of thumb held true for the 1st 2 GBs 145-150, but the rear GB was 120-130 above

You said one at 60F and one at 90 ambient- what are the uniform temps at a given ambient? ( little confusing there)

The day I checked it was 60F, and GB was running 180-190, so about 120-130 above, so I guessed that at a 90F day , GB would be running 210-220

"heat" (in and of itself) is not always an indicator of a problem but differences in heat frequently is an indicator of a problem.

What you should look for is differences in like boxes and then heat "zones" ( If the heat uniform or focused in a particular area)
Then look for additional clues ( loading, alignment, tension [if a belt system], smell, noise etc.)

All 3 GBs are in the same heat zone & load, alignment should be OK as universal joints are not running hot and no drive line clatter

Those claims are often misstated and taken out of context or spoken without proper qualification. If changing the oil 3 times has not produced a noticeable difference- it aint the oil. Look elsewhere.
I am looking elsewhere, as I said if magnetic drain plug has lot of crap on it, I know what to do

Back