Gear ratio for a '94 Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just bought a '94 Wrangler with the H.O. 4.0 liter engine and 5 spd manual tranny.The previous owner installed a 3" suspension lift and 1" body lift. It currently has 33" tires and my friend is complaining about the gutless nature of the Jeep.

He wants to keep it as is because he wants to get into off-roading.

He doesn't know what the gear ratio is and I was wondering if any of you knew what the options where in '94?

I'd say he has something along the lines of 3.55s.

Any ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:
4.0L/AX15(5 speed) YJ's came with 3.07's.

If your friend is getting into off-roading, then I would recommend 4.56 or even 4.88 gears. To be honest, the first thing he is going to break will be an axleshaft in the rear Dana35. If he's serious about the sport, he should skip the gears and upgrade the whole rear axle to save $.

Tell him it's an expensive sport.
grin.gif

I mentioned the same thing when he told me how gutless it was. I told him I'd go minimum 4.56s and if it were me I'd go 4.88s.

He mentioned getting replacement axles and I think hes leaning towards an ARB locker for the rear.

Now he needs to change his wheelin' strategy. His tecnique now is to mat the throttle and see where it gets him. I told him thats the fastest way to break something,but he thinks he knows better.
crushedcar.gif

Well, besides breaking something, I would be more concerned with trail damage and following Tread Lightly! principals. Tell your friend to look into joining an organized Jeep or 4x4 club. They'll have all the info he needs on wheeling responsibly and he'll make some new friends that can help him fix his broken Jeep...

A D35 can survive a 4 banger with heavy wheeling ..but not a 4.0. If he goes bigger than 33" ..he'll be buying an axle. They aren't expensive in terms of parts ..but they are just too weak to handle much hard core wheeling.

A cheap exchange for a very stout axle is an explorer 8.8 axle. The width is right and all that has to be done is align the spring pads and run a bead around where the tubes fit into the center section. The hard thing is getting one in the right ratio. I bought one with a 3.73 ..so I got lucky. I think they were limited to 3.54, 3.73, and 4.10 ...so it would cost him to have the front gears done ..but if he's changing gears anyway ..this could be cheaper. You can pick up one of these axles for about $150-300.

4.0L/AX15(5 speed) YJ's came with 3.07's.

If your friend is getting into off-roading, then I would recommend 4.56 or even 4.88 gears. To be honest, the first thing he is going to break will be an axleshaft in the rear Dana35. If he's serious about the sport, he should skip the gears and upgrade the whole rear axle to save $.

Tell him it's an expensive sport.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back