Gear Oil Shelf Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if gear oil degrades while sealed. I have a case of Amsoil 80W90 GL-5 Gear Oil that is unopened, but it is over 20 years old. I was prepared to use it in my truck until a few folks told me it may have degraded or the additives may have settled out. I have no problem shaking the bottles if settlement is an issue. Amsoil isn't cheap and I hate to not use it if it is OK, but I also don't want to use it if it will not perform at 100%. BTW, I have asked this question directly to Amsoil, currently waiting for their answer.

I remember years ago while taking an automotive course, the instructor claimed that bulk oils (55 gallon drum) would often have their additives settle to the bottom if stored for a considerable time frame.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

There are plenty of vehicles running around with 20 year old oil in the rear end. I'd use it if everything appeared normal.

Shake it up real good and use it.

There was a post on here about some oils from the 60s being used today and then sent for sampling, their UOAs looked perfectly normal.

You could always contact Amsoil with the numbers in the bottle, they'll know the production date and give you a definite answer

Originally Posted By: hatt
There are plenty of vehicles running around with 20 year old oil in the rear end. I'd use it if everything appeared normal.

A lot of vehicles run their entire lifetime on the factory fill in the differential and never have any issue. Gear oil, just like engine oil, lasts quite a long time sitting. I have used 20 year old Mobil1 before without issue.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

A lot of vehicles run their entire lifetime on the factory fill in the differential and never have any issue. Gear oil, just like engine oil, lasts quite a long time sitting. I have used 20 year old Mobil1 before without issue.

+1 Shake the %@#%^ out of it and give it hockey sticks. It is perfectly fine to use.

Thanks to all. I will provide Amsoil's reply when I get it. Unless they have negative info, I will shake, rattle and roll with it.

Thanks again.

Seems this was brought up a while back and AMsoil said 6 years?

edit: well seems the poster was told 4 years for Redline.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4280487/Searchpage/1/Main/263392/Words/gear+oil/Search/true/Re:_9_year_old_Redline_75W90_G#Post4280487

As said before, there are tons of vehicles out there with 20 year old gear oil with 100,000+ miles on it doing it's fob.

Last edited:
First, I previously searched this topic and could not find an answer on my specific question. Guess I should have searched more thoroughly.

Answer from Amsoil Technical Services as follows, "The shelf life if the gear lube is 5 years, so this product is well beyond it recommended life. I wouldn’t trust it for use"

Needless to say, for all the claims of superiority, (extended change intervals etc.) I would have thought these oils would have a much longer life, especially in a sealed container. Maybe they should come with a freshness date like the milk in my fridge.
frown.gif

Thanks again for all replies. This site is beyond awesome.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
If they won't trust their gear oil to use after 5 years in a sealed container I would not use it at all.
I wonder what specifically they have an issue with, besides trying to sell you more gear lube?
I'm sure every company would have said the same thing. No one is going to recommend using decades old product stored in unknown conditions.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
If they won't trust their gear oil to use after 5 years in a sealed container I would not use it at all.
I wonder what specifically they have an issue with, besides trying to sell you more gear lube?
I'm sure every company would have said the same thing. No one is going to recommend using decades old product stored in unknown conditions.

Exactly as Hatt says. No lubricant company will say no problem with using 20 year old fluid. I will assume this isn't an attack on Amsoil specifically, but wow not use it ALL? Interesting.

As for my my Answer. If it was stored at reasonable temperatures, and when opened doesn't smell like bacterial/fungal decay, shake and use for a relatively short interval. BUT you are on your own, no warranty of fluid.

It is what it is. Sort of ironic that Amsoil provides a 100K mile change interval (no time equivalent) for this gear oil, which in the majority of cases would take over 5 years to achieve. But in their own sealed container, it has a 5 year shelf life. Sound like talking out both sides of the mouth. Marketing ploy?

After much research, I won't be using this gear oil nor will I be purchasing this brand again. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Exactly as Hatt says. No lubricant company will say no problem with using 20 year old fluid. I will assume this isn't an attack on Amsoil specifically, but wow not use it ALL? Interesting.

Nope, nothing against Amsoil, but if any company says don't use our product (that meets the specs of the vehicle that it is being used in) just because it has been on the shelf in a sealed container is crazy. Vehicles have a lower quality gear oil in them that have been using the gear oil for 20 years with no problems. Yes I know we live in a sue happy world, but a 5 year shelf life in a sealed container is crazy short. 20 years on a shelf, give warning (as you did) before using it. Heck, offer to take the old stuff back and send some new at a discount so you can check how the 20 year old sealed oil checks out.

Have you contacted Mobil, SOPUS, Chevron, etc and asked them if they recommend using 20 year old oil you have sitting in the garage? I have a feeling you will not be comfortable using any oil in the future.

hatt, Would you use this in your vehicle?

I have used Mobil 1 engine oil for the last 30 or so years and will in the future, my wallet and vehicle are happy as ever. I am coming up on a differential service and thought since I had this gear oil, is it safe to use? According to the manufacturer it isn't. They never said have it tested or send us a sample and we will check it out.

When I worked in the shop, we purchased all our lubes in bulk, 55 gallon drums. Motor oils went quickly maybe 1-2 a month. 80W90 dino gear oil would last years.
There was a manufactured date stamped on the drum, but never an expired or use by date. I know it often lasted over 5 years.

blupupher, I thought about sending a sample out for analysis, but I think that is more for contamination, rather than to see if the additives are still capable.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Pablo, You sell this brand. Do you tell customers to be sure and use it up in 5 years?

Have you contacted Mobil, SOPUS, Chevron, etc and asked them if they recommend using 20 year old oil you have sitting in the garage? I have a feeling you will not be comfortable using any oil in the future.

Yeah, I thought about that after I typed it.
I would use the gear oil the OP posted about if I had a need for it and it met spec.
20 year old gear oil in a sealed container does not bother me one bit (unless when I poured it out somethign was obviously amiss, ie bad smell (oh wait, it is gear oil), chunks or obvious add pack fallout etc.).
As said, I have drained 20 year old gear oil out of many differentials with 200,000 miles on it and the diff had no problems.

blupupher,

That brings up an observation. I know it sounds counter-intuitive. But just like driving a car seems to be better for it than parking it in a barn. Maybe gear oil that is in use in a differential will outlive some that is sealed in a bottle.

Originally Posted By: warrior79
hatt, Would you use this in your vehicle?

If it's the correct spec oil for my application and appears normal I wouldn't have any problem using it. I have some 10+ year old gear oil and transmission fluid in the shed. I'd use it if I had something to put it in. In the end. If you're worried about it just buy new oil. 2-3 quarts to do a change of 75w/80w-90 isn't very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back