Gear Lube Color at 10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok a lot of people have been takeing out gear lube lately that is black as coal dust. So today I decided I had enough of the [censored] shifting from the Walmart SuperTech Semi-Synthetic 70W90 GL5 gear lube that was in their. It was in maybe 10,000 miles. The fluid went in almost clear and came out about the color of motor oil after a 10,000 mile run. This was very supriseing since The OEM stuff came out clear at 10K and Redline and Royal Purple both came out looking just like they did when I put them in. So I refilled it with Redline MTL no MTL/MT90 mix I decided to try 100% Redline MTL. To date the only fluid that I think really works well in this transmission is Redline MTL and MT90. All other fluids are notchy, do not shift creat cold and force you to upshift and downshift slowly. The Redline MTL makes this transmission as smooth and slick as a greased up pig!

No metal particles/shaveing came out of the transmission. To date only the OEM fill had sparkly floaters in it nothing that could be seen with out holding up to sun light in a glass jar. So to date protection from weear does not seem to be an issue at all. I am a bit concerned though why this cheap Walmart gear lube changed colors so drasticly in such a short period of time! I am also woundering why so many people are haveing simalar issues with many different brands????

The Mobil 1 Gear oil I had in my Corolla went to black in 40k and even worst (since color does not mean that much) it was causing the shifting to very poor.

The factory fill oil in my VW went 292k miles and was still shifting like it was new.

Some oils do not work so well. The Amsoil I have in the Corolla has more miles on it than the Mobil 1 did and still is shifting great.

I have not looked at it as I will run it 100k then replace. (unless it starts to perform poorly before that mileage)

I took photos of the poor performing Mobil 1 and started a thread here.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back