Ge porta color

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up one of these old color sets just because I love tube gear. It's been restored and I have a donor set for spare parts if needed. I'm looking for factory service manuals or photo facts but haven't found much available online. If anyone has the literature stashed away, I'll pay a fair price for it.

+1
i have a few myself.
at the time the cheapest color set made.and the design shows it.
but in 1966 folks would tolerate no acc,dc restoration,ect to own a color set.
even if they could not read small text due to the horribly course dot pitch of the crt.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
These little sets have quite the following. Try asking here.

http://videokarma.org/

Originally Posted By: kc8adu

they could not read small text due to the horribly course dot pitch of the crt.
[

Those little CRTs had the same aperture mask as a 25".
lol.gif

Thanks dishdude. Not a member there but I did search their archives. The chassis label disappeared a long time ago so finding a manual is proving to be even harder.

what chassis is yours?
i picked up a 10he from 79 earlier this year.
have seen one from 80 in a bright red case.
imagine a tube tv still being produced in 1980!
Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I just picked up one of these old color sets just because I love tube gear. It's been restored and I have a donor set for spare parts if needed. I'm looking for factory service manuals or photo facts but haven't found much available online. If anyone has the literature stashed away, I'll pay a fair price for it.

It's hard to say since the label is gone. Based on the 11sp22 crt and the lack of click stops on the uhf tuner, I know it's an earlier model. I would guess '66 or '67. The donor set is nearly the same age. It's also missing it's label but has lighted dials and vertical knob layout. I think the heat these sets put out caused most labels to fall off over the years.

I'm sure these run hot and it was brutal on the labels and plastics of high hour sets. They produced these for close to 15 years but were there any major chassis revisions during the run?

There were many variations made over the years, some even had a built in analog clock, the first sleep timer of sorts. There were changes made to the flyback transformer and picture tube over the years, which I'm sure caused some circuit changes downstream. These sets are hard to research but they're a perfect storm as a collector item if you ask me. Millions made, most of them scrapped, not to many working examples left. Restored examples get priced on evilbay over 500 bucks and they always sell pretty quick.

That's interesting. For something made by the millions, I'm not sure I have ever seen one.

I kept a GE (Japan) portable b/w set running up until the digital conversion. Still had it's original, about half compactron, tube set in it. Never wanted to learn enough about television to keep a tube color set working.

Somewhere I still have an unbuilt Heathkit TV; it's from the Zenith era, though, so probably not much required to "build" it.

Originally Posted By: Win
That's interesting. For something made by the millions, I'm not sure I have ever seen one.

I kept a GE (Japan) portable b/w set running up until the digital conversion. Still had it's original, about half compactron, tube set in it. Never wanted to learn enough about television to keep a tube color set working.

Somewhere I still have an unbuilt Heathkit TV; it's from the Zenith era, though, so probably not much required to "build" it.

If you want to part with that Heathkit, I'm interested.

... If you want to part with that Heathkit, I'm interested.

Thanks. For now, I want to hang unto it. I have a four year old, and maybe he'll be interested in it someday ....

I've got quite a few unbuilt "grief"kits, and kits from other companies, old and up to present day stuff. I've been buying them since the early 80's, but I'm not that keen on actually building them. I prefer to roll my own.

Somewhere I still have an unbuilt Heathkit TV; it's from the Zenith era,

Heath-Zenith started sliding downhill fast around that time.

We had a HERO (robot) running around our shop about that time.
thumbsup2.gif

Dad's old IM-18 is still sitting in the basement workshop.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

That's why he should sell that kit to me.
grin2.gif

if you get it and need the 9-160 fixed holler.
i once considered writing a book on the repair of those things.
but didnt as i was getting shipments of 50+ at a time to rebuild.
would have been akin to slitting ones own throat.

That's why he should sell that kit to me.
grin2.gif

9-160-1, 9-160-2, 9-160-3, 9-160-4 etc ...
Remember that first projection TV (with SPACE PHONE) that was motor driven up out of the cabinet?

Yes! A friend's parents had one when I was a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The viewing angle was terrible, but straight on it looked great. The speakerphone built into the TV was icing on the cake.

That Heathkit probably has a 9-160 board, I think Zenith bought Heath in '79, so it would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back