gdi turbo & oil

Not to revive a old thread but I was just reading about how Noac volatility being very low is extremely iMportant to turbo engines. AKA group4 and 5 if possible.
I'm not sure it makes any difference.

Not really. It's more like reducing the rate of buildup by X amount when compared to the full-SAPS version. Of course it may not matter or only matter hundreds of thousands of miles down the road if the PCV system is designed appropriately
That’s why an oil catch can system is a good idea.

That’s why an oil catch can system is a good idea.
Only if the PCV isn't working as it should...sometimes a CC actually is why you get the oil in it in the first place (MK7 VWs seem to be this way). I think they are worthless personally.

Or not needed. The BMW N55 (2009-2017) has no running issues related to IVD.

Catch cans sell on fear.
I make my own. Little cost. Go to Walmart and get an air compressor water separator. 1/4 in. Install in between the PCV and the manifold. Under 20 bucks. Very important for any GDI especially. Honestly, I prefer just vented to the atmosphere. Keep all the oil out of the manifold, even on a port fuel injection.

Only if the PCV isn't working as it should...sometimes a CC actually is why you get the oil in it in the first place (MK7 VWs seem to be this way). I think they are worthless personally.
I used one I made on my SRT-4. You be very surprised how much oil comes it catches through the vapor. Remember that all goes into your manifold, then goes into the combustion chamber, and then plugs up your Cat

I used one I made on my SRT-4. You be very surprised how much oil comes it catches through the vapor. Remember that all goes into your manifold, then goes into the combustion chamber, and then plugs up your Cat
On the MK7 VWs the line the can goes in is a line that is used to draw vacuum so v. little oil/vapor going that route to the turbo. Primarily goes into the intake via the block. Adding a CC just alters the pressure/vacuum cycle on/off throttle and creates the oil thar it catches. Nobody has shown that a CC on these cars has any correlation to IVDs. My car's valves looked good at 75K when my intake manifold was off for a water pump...had them cleaned anyway because they were in there. My cats aren't being "plugged up"...

On the MK7 VWs the line the can goes in is a line that is used to draw vacuum so v. little oil/vapor going that route to the turbo. Primarily goes into the intake via the block. Adding a CC just alters the pressure/vacuum cycle on/off throttle and creates the oil thar it catches. Nobody has shown that a CC on these cars has any correlation to IVDs. My car's valves looked good at 75K when my intake manifold was off for a water pump...had them cleaned anyway because they were in there. My cats aren't being "plugged up"...
CA emissions once the sensors sense a 95% efficiency. Hello CEL. Another issue is CA **** gas. Another issue. These cats are on the manifold. Exhaust coming out straight ti Cat is 1600. That’s the temp that damages the cats. CA wants instant warm up. Cars from the 90s. The cats were further down where the exhaust temp was 1200. That’s not good enough for CA. Omg. We have pollution on start up until we have operating temp of 180 degrees

Not a turbo but in my wife's 1.6 accent i have been using pennzoil platinum 5w30 , i got a real good deal on some Petro Canada shp duron 10w30 .
i changed the oil yesterday and drove it around 20 miles , i never really notice much change in engine noise when trying different weights in my cars , but did notice a lot less noise in the 1.6 with the duron 10w30 over the platinium 5w30.
I had the 2012 Accent and bought out all the AZ Pennzoil Ultra on clearance in both 5w30 and 10w30. Owners manual recommended either or depending on temperature.

(gas engines)
Most dealerships don't like to be surprised, when finding catch cans they never approved. Some approve them - some don't. Sometimes, it depends on the 12 months climate of the region.

Also, if you live in North Country and your catch can actually shows a buildup between oil changes, be wary that the lines can freeze in the winter and either partially - or totally block the passages.

Back